𝟏𝟒

She knocked on his door.

"Hello? I attempted an omelette! It's... more like scrambled eggs, but I'm pretty sure it's edible."

No answer.

Fearing the worst, she opened the door.

He was sat perfectly still, staring out the window. He didn't even move when the door opened.

"You shouldn't be here."

Dionne studied her feet. He was right. She shouldn't be. She should have killed him a long time ago. But Ghezen knew she wasn't strong enough for that.

"Maybe. But you shouldn't be starving yourself, either," she stepped in further and Dominik curled up.

"What does it matter, Dio?" He said quietly. "What does it matter? I'm only hurting people by sticking around this long. I've– all I've done is hurt you."

His voice broke.

"It–"

"No, you should have killed me. It would be better that way. Stop caring for me, damn it." His voice was hoarse from sobbing.

She silently set the plate and a glass of water down at the bedside table. "And how do you expect me to do that?"

"It's not hard. Just slit my throat while I'm sleeping."

"No, how do you expect me to stop caring?" She knew it wasn't fair to raise her voice. She knew that. But she was so damned tired. She just wanted everyone she cared for to be safe. Was that too much to ask?

"That's not hard either."

"Yes it is! By Ghezen, it's the hardest part about living with you," Dionne threw her hands up. "It's the idea that I'm going to have to kill you someday."

"Why is that–"

"Because you're beautiful. And your laugh is contagious. And I'd do anything to keep you smiling. And– fuck." Dionne pinched the bridge of her nose. The tears had begun to run down her cheeks.

They were running down Dominik's, too.

She cared.

Somehow that was the most terrifying prospect of them all.