𝟏𝟐

Dionne didn't bother him for the rest of the day. When the sun set, the screams began. But she was well asleep by then. It barely brushed by her sleep.

It was when she woke up early the next day when she heard them again. They made her stomach churn.

She ventured into the wing of the palace they were coming from.

The door at the end was a crack open.

Curiosity enveloped her. She stepped forward.

She caught a glance of the volcra, but the claws were being forcibly shoved back into its fingers. And the wings– Ghezen, the wings– folded into his back in jagged, disgusting movements.

No wonder he was screaming.

She stood there in horror until the screams broke into sobs. Broken sobs. Dionne realized her cheeks were stained with tears, too.

She opened the door, and he flinched, curling further into himself. He was rocking himself back and forth, as if trying to calm himself. It broke her heart.

He flinched again when she took his face in her hands, but he didn't pull away. She rested her forehead on his and sang an old Shu lullaby under her breath.

Once she was finished, she let him cry. He deserved to cry. All she did was brush away his tears, murmur things like "it's okay" and "it's over now" and "you're okay." They were incomprehensible, but they were together. And that was about all that mattered.

His eyes were squeezed shut, as if bracing himself for something that would never come. "Mama, it hurts. Please. Make it stop." Dominik sobbed, curling further into himself.

Her heart felt like it was ripped out of her chest. She brought him closer and just... held him. They were practically strangers, obviously, but she couldn't just leave him. She couldn't. She wasn't nearly strong enough.

She couldn't look him in the eye for the whole day.