𝟎𝟕

Dominik towered over the girl.

She was shaking. Of course she was.

He grinned.

He liked it when his prey shook.

It made it all the more fun.

There was a knife in her hand, gripped securely and pointed directly towards him. He could have laughed.

What could a toothpick like that do to a monster like him?

Monster.

That seemed to shake him out of his trance.

He could see the hesitation in her eyes. Her golden eyes. A pool of warmth in an ocean of cold. They were wide, perplexed.

Then, the wolves lunged from the shadows.

Of course, their target was the girl. They wouldn't dare lay a finger on him.

They began to scratch at her. There were too many for her to fend off.

Without another thought, Dominik swatted them aside, sticking a claw through their chests until they stopped flailing.

That was when one brave soul sank its teeth into his arm.

He cried out, and the rest of the wolves scattered back for a moment.

The girl, acting entirely on instinct, lunged forward and slashed at the wolf. That was enough for it to unclench its jaw, but not before a deep incision had been made in his arm.

The girl tucked the knife away. She raised her fists, releasing a deep exhale.

From then on, nothing took her by surprise. Whether it was a scratch at her feet or a bite at her shoulder, she fended it all off as if she felt nothing.

But he knew she couldn't go on for much longer. Neither of them could.

Dominik bore his teeth, and the wolves whimpered and ran away. It wasn't worth the fight.

Dominik opened his mouth. He didn't know if he was capable of speech, but he tried anyway. "You... saved. Me." He said haltingly. He hadn't spoken in a while, so his voice was hoarse. On top of that, it had a hissing quality that came from his tongue being forked.

"You can speak," she said, in almost an incredulous tone. In Ravkan, but her accent was distinctly Kerch. "Noted. Can we do introductions when we're, I don't know, not bleeding out?"

He huffed a laugh. "Sounds like a plan. We'll head to the palace."