𝟏𝟎

"Rise and shine," called an entirely unfamiliar voice. It was only unfamiliar to Dionne at first, but when she righted herself, she smiled without thinking.

It was Dominik. And in his hands was a plate of strawberry shortcake.

"Oh, Ghezen, you've done it!" Dionne scooted to the end of the bed and held out her hands greedily. She was starving. She couldn't remember the last time she was full. Not when she was little, of course not when she was with the fight club, and she gave up her portions to Lua when she could.

Dominik's smile was genuine and warm as he placed the plate and fork in her hands. "You did ask. I found an old recipe somewhere in the cabinets. I did my best. Please ignore any eggshells."

"Oh, I couldn't care less about eggshells," she said, sticking the fork in the cake and scooping it into her mouth. It was even better than she remembered. She practically inhaled the whole thing.

He laughed. "Saints. You must've been starved."

"No shit. Saving shadow monsters does work up an appetite," she retorted, guiltily looking down at the crumbs. "Please tell me you saved some for yourself."

"To be fair, I did make more than just cake," he said thoughtfully. "We could have lunch together, if you're up to it."

Dionne's eyes darted down to her outfit. She ran a self-conscious hand through her hair. "I... don't think I'm dressed to have lunch with a prince. Give me fifteen minutes?"

Dominik grinned. His heart fluttered at the thought of her in a gown. If her in a lace tank top gave him butterflies, he didn't dare think about what her dressed up would do to him. "Of course. I'll count that exactly, by the way."

She pouted, sifting through the closet. "You're the worst. Get out."

He raised his hands in apology and shuffled out of the room, a grin still lingering on his lips.