26- Traitor

"I never imagined Floch would take action this quickly" Hange says as they stand at the top of the hill with Magath.

"It's over if the Jaegerists destroy the flying boat, so why haven't they?" Magath asks as he looks through his binoculars.

"Beats me. They probably doubt we're still around, let alone trying to stop Eren" Hange says as they lean against the rocks, "it's easy enough to destroy it, but it'll take decades to destroy the tech with most of the world gone. Plus, they'll want it to ensure the mainland is empty. I think the reason they're here is to capture the Azumabito with all their boats and stuff. But the moment they realise we're here at the port, they'll blast the flying boat to smithereens. Preventing that will be difficult, even with some of the Nine".

"But if we can't manage this much, we'll never take down the Founder" Magath says as he crouches down, "let's plan to--".

The two of them look up as they see a bunch of steam coming towards them.

"We've got to kill them all at once. That's the only way to secure the flying boat" Annie says as she looks at Mikasa, Armin and Conny, "for this to work, we'll need all our titans and all your weapons, got it?".

"Not so fast" Evelyn says as she looks at Annie.

"What?" Annie asks as she looks at Evelyn.

"If we go in recklessly, the Azumabitos will get caught up in it all" Evelyn says as she sits down on the cart with Levi.

"Why should we care about Mikasa's distant relatives? They attacked our homeland" Annie says as she looks at Mikasa.

"Wait. The Azumabitos dying will pose a problem, Annie" Pieck says from behind Annie, "isn't that right?".

"It's true. I should be able to pilot the flying boat on my own" Onyankopon says as he looks at Pieck, "but without the Azumabito mechanics, it's just a boat without wings. Currently, the wings are folded up in order to make it easier to tow. And it's not just a matter of unfolding the wings. The original plan was to service it in the hangar and pilot it after some training".

"How long with that take?" Reiner asks as he looks at Onyankopon.

"I don't know. It depends on the Azumabitos" Onyankopon says as he looks down.

"I see. It sounds like you want to protect the Azumabitos while they service the boat" Annie says as she looks at Onyankopon, "but not just that-- without killing any of the Jaegerists who come to stop us, huh?".

"If possible. We've known them since we were cadets" Jean says as he looks down.

"So, what's your plan? Tell me. How do you plan on buying enough time?" Annie asks impatiently, "you need enough time in order for the Azumabitos to service the flying boat without killing anyone. Let's hear it, Armin. Don't you have a grand plan like when you cornered me?".

"There's no such plan. We either wipe them out, or don't and lose the boat" Evelyn says calmly.

"Hold up! We're here to save people!" Conny says as he looks at Evelyn, "and yet, we've got to murder some of our friends first? What the hell!".

"True... you guys shouldn't be expected to help out in this operation" Evelyn says as she looks down, "but put it this way, I've been killed my comrades since I have five. It started with the Restorationists. They all died because we were caught. Next, I've killed countless members of the Scouts by sending them into battles I knew they couldn't win. Not to mention Erwin. I should've just gone in his place and been killed myself. He would never let something like the rumbling happen, even if he was selfish. In this line of work, you're going to have to kill your comrades and you're going to have to get over it too. You shouldn't be expected to make this kind of choice in the first place".