10- A Sound Argument

"Fight. Fight!" Eren says as he looks at his reflection in the mirror.

"What are you doing?" Hange asks as they stand on the other side of Eren's cell, "were you just saying 'fight, fight', to the mirror just now? Hey. You said 'fight, fight' didn't you? By 'fight, fight', what are you fighting? If you're saying 'fight, fight', does that mean there's two fights? Keeping quiet isn't helping. Normally, people don't talk to themselves like that. I know I've never talked to myself in the mirror before. By the way, I think you hair is cool. When it's all dishevelled, it's kind of like you're hardworking and carefree".

"What did you come here for?" Eren asks angrily.

"What? To talk of course" Hange says as they looks at Eren, "the first time we met, didn't we talk about titans all night? Though you mostly listened as I blabbered on and on. I honestly believed that you would never sacrifice Historia".

--- two years ago ---

"Eren, I haven't seen you since you lifted our ship a whole year ago" Yelena says as her group meet up with the Scouts, "I'm honoured to work with you".

"No, you won't be working together. You're enough just to see his face" Levi says as he puts his arm out in front of Eren.

"Plenty enough for me. Today will be a joyous day" Yelena says with a small smile, "the port is complete and we're welcoming our first outside visitor. From Paradis Island's sole friendly nation, Hizuru. Special Envoy, Kiyomi Azumabito".

Their guests make it to the port as they gather inside one of their main meeting rooms.

"Do you recognise this family crest?" Lady Azumabito asks as she looks at Eren, Evelyn, Mikasa and Armin, showing them a piece of fabric laid over her arm.

"That's..." Mikasa says as she holds her wrist.

"Show it, Mikasa" Evelyn says as she looks at Mikasa, "it's okay. We can trust her".

"But my Mum said to keep it a secret" Mikasa says as she looks at Evelyn.

"You showed Eren and I when the two of you were little. It's a secret meant for today" Evelyn says as she tries her best to reassure Mikasa.

Mikasa rolls up her sleeve as she reveals a white bandage wrapped around her wrist. She unwraps the bandage to reveal the same mark on her wrist as the one on the t-shirt.

"Before she died, this symbol was passed down to me from my Mother" Mikasa says as she shows the woman her mark, "she said I should pass it onto my child".

"What an admirable deed!" Lady Azumabito says as she puts her hands on Mikasa's shoulders, "over a century ago, the shogun we Azumabitos descended from had a son. He was on friendly terms with King Fritz and often came to Paradis. After the Great Titan War, Hizuru was defeated an in disarray. In the confusion, a child of the shogunate was left behind on the island. You're the lost descendant of our nation's ruler! You're the hope of Hizuru!".

The meeting goes on a break and they all gather outside.

"Hey, why did you only show Eren and Evelyn that symbol?" Historia asks as she walks over to Mikasa, "you've never taken off your wrist wrap for anyone".

"Well that's..." Mikasa says as she looks away.

"You seem happy" Eren says as he comes over to the two of them.

"I am! You and I were both born with a heavy burden to bear!" Historia says as she looks at Mikasa, "there's nobody else I'd rather rely on than you!".

"What about me, Historia?" Evelyn asks as she comes over, hugging Historia tightly.

"You're my distant cousin so of course I'd rely on you" Historia says as she looks at Evelyn.