17- Judgement

--- at the scene where Zeke turned the Scouts into titans ---

Floch and his team arrive at the place where Levi and Evelyn had set up camp to keep Zeke away from everyone as Hange looks around for anyone. Hange spots someone laying down in the tall grass as they jump off their horse and they run over.

"Levi" Hange says softly as they kneel down next to Levi.

They gasp as they study Levi's injuries, realising how serious his condition.

Where the hell is Evelyn? Did she make it our alive? There's no way she didn't!

Hange says worriedly as they look around.

"Evelyn... is... safe" Levi manages to make out as Hange looks down at him.

"Captain Levi?" Floch says in shock as he comes over, fortunately not hearing Levi talk to Hange, "no idea what happened, but lucky us. Our biggest threat is a bloody mess. I'll put a hole in his head".

"He's dead" Hange says calmly.

"Eh?" Floch asks confused.

"A Thunder Spear blew up in his face" Hange says as they look at all the shrapnel sticking out of Levi's face, "the blast shredded his insides, killing him instantly".

"Let me see him" Floch says, not wanting to trust Hange, "I can take a pulse, too. Let me see him".

"Floch!" one of the soldiers yells as they stand next to the a titan nearby as steam quickly absorbs into its body.

"It's vanishing? It died?" Floch wonders as he looks over.

"No. When titans die and disappear, they don't suck in steam" Hange says as they look over as well.

The sun starts to shine as they all point their guns at the titan. They all watch as the steam disappears, Zeke slipping from the titan naked. Hange gasps in shock as Zeke stands up. Zeke looks at them all as he holds onto the titan's spine for support as they all look at him in shock. Hange shakes off the shock as they take the opportunity to pick up Levi and run as they make it across the river, whistling for their horse who follows them. They all try their best to shoot them down but they manage to get away.

"Zeke, what happened to you?" Floch asks as he walks over to Zeke.

"I don't know" Zeke says as he watches some of the soldiers go after Hange and Levi, "there was a strange girl building my body our of soil. I was in some strange place watching it happen. It felt like years passed by, but at the same time, it felt like an instant. Was that...? I see... were those the Paths?".

"Zeke. You turned the thirty Scouts that were guarding to into titans, right?" Floch asks as he pulls his hood down, "where are they? And where is Section Commander Evelyn?".

"Evelyn managed to run away using her horse, but she's on her way back to Eren in Shiganshina" Zeke says as he looks blankly at Floch, "and as for those Scouts, well, they're gone. Now there's nobody that will get in our way. Let's go".

All we can do is move forward, right Eren?

Zeke says as he starts to walk away.

--- back in Shiganshina ---

"Galliard!" Gabi says as she looks up at Galliard.

"I knew it wouldn't be easy" Pieck says as she watches Eren.

"Pieck! You're not a traitor?" Gabi asks as she looks at Pieck.

"Gabi! You thought I'd sell out my comrades?" Pieck asks as she looks at Gabi.