Chapter 39 - When in Brazil

This contains spoilers for events that happen after chapter 370 in the Haikyu manga!!

"Ugh, Aya, it's so hot here. I'm like, constantly sweating." I sat up from my bed, holding my phone up so Aya could easily see me through the screen.

"You've only been there for a couple of days and you're already complaining about the heat?" She laughs.

"You don't understand, this is the first time I've gotten a break. We've just been out drawing so far."

"Isn't that what you do at an art retreat?"

"Ok, yeah, I signed up for this. I know I shouldn't complain..." I sigh, "But it's alright, you already know I like drawing, so it makes the heat more bearable."

"That's good. I mean, there can be some really hot days here in California too, but you get used to it."

"Well, you've been there for how many years now?"

"Hey, Y/N," Hana, one of the girls on this retreat with me, bursts into our shared room, "A few of us are going to the beach right outside. Wanna join?"

"Huh? Uh, I was gonna stay in for a bit-"

"Nope!" A voice cut me off. It was another girl on the retreat with us, Raina. "You're coming with us; we're getting drinks after!"

Hana nods, "Yeah, this is our first night off, let's not waste it."

"Whatever..." I groan, "Aya, I gotta go. I'll talk to you later."

"Have fun!" She smiles, before ending the call.

I toss my phone to the side before digging in my suitcase for a bathing suit.

"Y'know, Y/N, when the place we're staying at is right near a beach, you should always be wearing a bathing suit underneath everything." Raina sits on her respective bed.

"Sorry I'm not like you, I'm not a big fan of beaches." I finally pulled out the bathing suit that was buried underneath my other belongings.

"Then why the hell would you choose Brazil of all places?" Hana asks.

"I dunno... more life experiences?" To be honest, I didn't really think too much about it when reserving a spot on this art retreat. I booked it after seeing there was one spot left, thinking it would be fun to travel outside of Japan.

"Well, meeting new people is also fun, isn't it?" Raina throws her arm around me. I only met this girl a few days ago and she's the most outgoing person I've ever met. She acts like we've known each other for years. I guess it's better to have a bunch of extroverted people around me, otherwise, I wouldn't be talking to anyone here.

After throwing on my swimsuit and cover-up, we made our way to the beach. A few others tagged along with us; they were all excited to get drinks after. We walked along the sand for a bit, talking about whatever came to our minds.

"Check it out," One of the guys pointed out ahead of us, "Didn't know so many people would watch these beach volleyball games."

I stared at the game unfolding before us, tuning out whatever the others were saying.

"Ugh, I gotta get in the water. It's too hot!" Raina throws her clothes next to me, snapping me out of the daze I was in.

"It's not that hot, the sun is already down." Hana says.

"Who cares, it's still fun to swim!" She rushes to the water, and a few of the others follow her.

My eyes trail back to the volleyball game that was happening in the distance.