17

Dominic and Andra continued their meal in silence, each lost in their thoughts.

Andra decided that he was right. They had to play their part. She couldn't wait to hand him her rules.

Dominic was glad she was quiet now. He was getting fed up with her shenanigans, but then he had signed up for the job and he had every intention of seeing it through to the end.

***

Inside an opulent living room, a wealthy-looking aristocratic woman in her sixties was looking at the portrait of Dominic and his comrades in an army uniform.

There was a forlorn expression on her face and she dialed his number on her phone.

"Mum, hi." His voice came through.

"When are you getting married, son?"

Dominic groaned with exasperation. "Oh, mum, not again." He complained but she didn't care.

"I want my grandchildren." She declared.

"Don't start, mum."

"Can't you pity your parents? Some of our mates are already carrying their grandchildren."

"Thank God you said 'some' mum."

"Oh please."

"Mum, I will get married in due time."

"When? You're not getting any younger. You came back to the country and instead of living here at home, you rushed off to go and stay in a hotel and then with Mike. What is wrong with you?"

"Mum, my job requires privacy."

"This house is big enough. Don't you miss your family?"

"Stop trying to blackmail me, mom. I'm a man now. I've been a man for a long time."

"If you don't find a wife as soon as possible, I'll be forced to get you one."

Dominic laughed. "Calm down, mum. Love is not forced. Allow me to concentrate on my work."

"God didn't let you die as a soldier during your peacekeeping missions just so you can have a family of your own."

"Stop it, mum."

"I've told you. I will get you a wife sooner than you think."

She ended the call, fuming as her husband walked down the stairs, smiling."

"Let the man be, honey."

"You need to support me and put pressure on him. I want my grandchildren."

"I want them too, but you don't want to pressure him into making a wrong decision. Marriage is not a game."

"Yes, but can't you see how relaxed he is?"

"Be patient, honey."

"I am tired of being patient. He is our first son. I don't want his younger ones to follow his example and refuse to get married."

"He will get married. Trust me, you cannot force nature." He sat down beside her, relaxed.

"I don't like how you always support Dominic. He is an eligible bachelor. He is tall and handsome. This is on every girl's list. Why can't he find a wife? At least he does not go to war anymore. I'm telling you, if he does not find a wife soon, I'll find him one. I'm just waiting for the right opportunity to strike."

He caressed her chin affectionately. "Calm down, sweetheart. The young man is busy. He is an operations manager for the army."

"For the foreign government."