14

The following day in the early part of the afternoon, Andra stood outside her balcony, deep in thoughts about her current situation.

She was wearing soft combat trousers and a tank top with a face cap that she wore backward. Her hair fell around her shoulders, framing her face.

Now that the contract had been finalized and the deal was set for execution, she got increasingly disturbed, unable to believe what her father was subjecting her to.

Well, she didn't blame him. If she had not been dependent on him, she would have been independent by now but here she was, having no choice in the matter. Besides, she told herself, why would she have to work when she had a father who could provide all her needs? And why would she have to lose her inheritance over this matter?

Molly emerged behind her and knew she was thinking about the situation as she came to stand beside her at the railing.

"I told you your dad was serious." She said.

"I still cannot believe he would give me out to a stranger."

"Yeah. But on the bright side, everything will be over by the end of the election."

"One year is a long time to spend pretending or acting."

"I know. But you have to try. Anyway, how was the guy, is he hot?"

Andra hissed. "That is irrelevant."

A moment of silence reigned between them as they thought about the situation.

"The most disturbing part that has me worried about this whole thing is, the guy is a stranger. I know nothing about him apart from his name."

"Dominic is a hot name."

"Shut up, please. You always say the wrong things."

"Take it easy. I would say, don't worry. I'm sure daddy did a background check on him. Or he knows him. He has to know him."

"At this point, I don't know what to think anymore."

"Your dad will not risk your life even in his anger. Don't worry, the guy cannot be a serial killer or something."

"Hmm."

"So tell me, when is the engagement or when do you guys start keeping up appearances?"

Andra hissed with disinterest. She was not ready to talk about it.

Molly noticed her demeanor and let it go. Andra was inwardly grateful that Molly was not pushing it.

"God. I cannot believe that I'm going to move in with that stranger." Andra bitterly lamented.

They became aware of Carla's presence behind them. They turned to give her their attention. She seemed to have been drawn in by their conversation and there was a look of surprise on her face as she stared at the two.

"You mean your father didn't tell you about Dominic?" she asked Andra.

"No. What about him?"

"He is a taxi driver," Carla revealed. "A uber driver."

Andra and Molly were shocked at the information.

"What?" Andra could not get over the shock of the revelation. "A taxi driver?"

"Yes. And to set the record straight, I advised him against it." She defended.

Andra became enraged at this new revelation but she was also enraged at her stepmother.

"Who even invited you into this conversation?" she demanded.

"Andra, please stop." Molly cautioned and Andra stopped but she was still fuming with anger.

Carla shook her head, offended but in control of herself as she addressed Andra.

"I may not be your biological mother, but I sincerely care about you. I don't know why you hate me. But there is nothing I can do about it. What I can do, however, is apologize for barging into your conversation. So, I will just remedy the situation right now by backing off."

She took some steps backward before turning and walking away.

Molly and Andra turned back to face the railing and Molly began to caution Andra again.

"You need to stop antagonizing her."

"Oh, please. She should stay out of my way." Andra refuted. "After all, she was the lawyer who prepared the contract. That can only mean that she supports dad."

"She must have had her reasons. Don't forget that your father is trying to keep this in the family. If a lawyer outside the family had done it, don't you think the risk of the information getting out would be more?"

Andra considered Molly's point and found that it made sense. Still, it did nothing to stop her anger toward Carla.

"Fine. That's a fair point, but she should just stay out of my business. No one invited her to our discussion."

Molly shrugged and remained silent. Andra didn't speak either. She was again, lost in her thoughts about her situation, with the current revelation paramount on her mind.

"Molly, I can't believe that your uncle brought a taxi driver for me. I mean, me. Take a good look at me. Someone of my status. This is me. Andra Anderson. I am not some common person on the streets. How inconsiderate and mean can a father be? Gosh."

"Well, I'm surprised about the guy's status but, look on the bright side. The arrangement is not real."

Andra shoved Molly lightly, offended by her words. "Go away. Your positivity can be so annoying at times."

"Hey, take it easy. It's not me that you have a problem with." Molly defended. "it's my uncle. And he is right inside the house."

Andra sighed, dejected. Her mind was still on the new revelation as Molly strode away from the balcony, leaving her alone to her thoughts.

"A taxi driver." She lamented under her breath, unbelieving. "An ordinary taxi driver for me, Andra Anderson."

Her phone buzzed with a text message and she retrieved it from her pocket. She was offended when she saw that the sender was Dominic.

This was her first communication with him. She opened the message and read the content with feelings of antagonism at the sender-

I will be at your house to pick you up for our first date today by 5:00 pm. Don't be late and do not wear any boyish outfit. Dress like a lady. Dominic James.