13

Andra tried, but she could not picture herself looking for a job. She could not picture herself losing her inheritance. She didn't know how to hustle. She had never tried and she was not about to try.

If her father disowned her, she was finished. She would not be able to party because there would be no money. Neither will there be a car. She would be done for.

She thought about the deal and decided it was safer. At least all parties involved in the deal knew it was a fake arrangement, so she had nothing to lose.

Andra wiped the tears from her eyes as her decision became firmer in her mind.

"Daddy, I want my own rules in this whole bizarre arrangement." She negotiated.

"You are free to bring your rules as long as they don't interfere with my plans."

Her eyes were glued to his and she was speechless. Duke turned his attention to Dominic.

"Dominic." He said.

"Sir."

"I have a contract already prepared that the both of you will sign. You will both study it for today and we will finalize everything tomorrow so that I can finally get to sleep with my eyes closed. I will go and get it. Excuse me." He walked away, leaving them alone.

Andra folded are arms and avoided looking at Dominic. She had never resented him as much as she did anyone right now. The thought of living in the same house with him was a nightmare that, unfortunately, she would now be forced to endure.

Dominic watched her, knowing she was avoiding his gaze. He was not looking forward to living in the same house with her anytime too soon but he understood that the job entailed it. He would have to go with it.

If he eventually signed the deal, she better not step on his toes because he took any job he considered doing, seriously.

Andra finally fixed her gaze on him. It was full of animosity. Dominic didn't react to her hateful stare, simply meeting it with a blank one of his. Giving up on the battle of eyes, she stormed away.

***

Later, in bed that night, Andra studied the contract solemnly. It was nothing complicated. It was an agreement that all parties involved were to keep the deal a secret so that the public doesn't get wind of the fact that the marriage was a staged one. It also contained a few other things that Duke had already explained. She could not believe that the family lawyer had prepared the deal with her official seal. The lawyer was no other person than Mrs. Duke.

Andra scoffed as she read everything with her eyes. Her father had made it look so official. She could not believe that he was treating her like this. Her eyes scanned the basic words she needed to study.

This contract is made between Mr. Duke Anderson, Andra Anderson, and Dominic James under the seal of Mrs. Duke Anderson, Solicitor following the laws therein contained in the constitution of the federal republic of Wiles.

She skipped the parts with dates and definitions of the persons involved as well as other terms and continued reading.

1.1 A public engagement shall be done between Andra and Dominic after which they will get married. 

1.2 The couple agrees to live together immediately after engagement.

1.3 The couple will begin keeping dating appearances a day after the contract is signed by all parties involved.

1.4.The couple will keep this arrangement a secret and uphold the rules of this contract. 

Andra closed the contract with a scoff at the secret aspect. After all, her household already knew.