First Potions Class

Jasmine's POV

It's the second day of classes and right now we are in potions. I am sitting beside Hermione. Who is sitting next to Harry Potter. Still haven't meet him properly yet.  Anyway we've all taken our seats and are just waiting for my dad to arrive. Everyone is chattering away happily until the door slams open as my dad enters the room. We all go silent.

"There will be no foolish wand waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion making. However, for those select few" he says looking at me. I smile at him. "Who possess the predisposition, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death" he states.

I hear a faint scratching sound. I look over to see Harry writing down what my dad is saying. Dad notices. "Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confidant enough to not...pay...attention" he states.

Hermione elbows Harry lightly and he looks at her confused. She nods at my dad and he looks up at him. " Mr. Potter. Our...new...celebrity. Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" dad asks. Hermione's arm shoots into the air nearly hitting me. Harry shrugs, not knowing the answer.

"You don't know? Well, let's try again. Where, Mr. Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?" dad asks.

"I don't know sir" Harry tells him as Hermione raises her hand again.

"And what is the difference between monkshood and wolf-bane?" Dad asks again.

"I don't know sir" Harry repeats.

"Pity. Clearly, fame isn't everything is it, Mr. Potter?" Dad asks as Draco smirks. I roll my eyes.

"Clearly, Hermione knows. Seems a pity not to ask her" Harry retorts. Hermione looks a bit surprised as everyone laughs. Dad orders for silence. He then walks over to his desk. To Hermione, who has still got her hand up. "And put her hand down, you silly girl" he tells Hermione and she does so. He then sits in front of us. "Jasmine, tell Mr Potter the answer to the questions I asked him" he tells me.

"Of course dad" I say with a smile. "Asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful, it is known as the Draught of Living Death" I state as I write it down. "A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons. As for monkshood and wolfs-bane, they are the same plant, which also goes by the name of aconite" I explain writing it down. "Any other questions dad?" I ask.

"Why aren't you all writing this down?" he asks the others. They immediately start to scribble the answers down. Dad returns to his desk and dips his quill into some ink. "And Gryffindors, note that fifteen points are awarded to you for my daughter answering the questions. But five points, will be taken from your house for your classmate's cheek" he tells us. I roll my eyes.

The rest of class was fine, dad went over his rules for the lesson. Then dad explains the different types of cauldrons and  phials that are used in potion making. Before having us read the chapter on the twelve different uses of Dragons Blood. Having us take notes down as he gave us an essay to do on it for homework.

I hang around after class as my house heads for the Green Houses. And Slytherin to their Charms class. "Can I help you daughter?" dad asks as he looks up from his paper work.

"Why did you ask Harry those questions?" I ask him.

"To prove a point" he states. "That he is just like his father" he clarifies. "Anything else?" he asks.

"There's this book I want to read, but Madame Pince won't give it to me" I state.

"Let me guess, restricted section?" he asks me.

"Yes" I say.

"A potions book?" he asks.

"It has a potion in it" I state. He looks up at me. "Animagus potion" I tell him. He sighs putting his quill down.

"Pray tell, why you'd want such a book?" he asks.

"I think you know" I say avoiding his eyes.

"Damn you and your ambitious nature. You should of been a slytherin" he tells me.

"I had one more gryffindor quality then slytherin" I tell him.

"Of course, you did" he states.

"So, will you give me a slip for the book?" I ask him hopeful.

"No" he says. "If you wish to have it, you have to prove to me that this is more then some passing fancy" he tells me. "Read all you can on Animagi on books you can read. Do me a essay on why I should let you become one and why you wish to become one. Then I may give you a permission slip" he states.

"I will do as you ask dad" I tell him. He hands me a slip.

"Give this to Professor Sprout, now run along" he tells me.

"See you around dad" I say. I left his class and headed to herbology. I arrived and handed Professor Sprout my slip.

"Very well Miss Snape, join the class" she tells me. She then continues her lecture on the severing charm and it's use in herbology. I take notes with the other students.

A/N

Picture above of Snape.