First Day of Classes

Jasmine's POV

I woke up early with Hermione and we went down to breakfast. We had found Percy along the way and he was kind enough to show us the way. Even though I have been here before, I never got to explore the castle much. Aside from the Dungeons and the first floor. We enter the great hall and I see Draco wave me over.

"Excuse me Hermione" I say and head over to the Slytherin table. "Morning Draco, how was your first night?" I ask curious as I sit beside him.

"It was fine, though we were all surprised when you weren't put in Slytherin" he states.

"The sorting hat listed my qualities and I had one more Gryffindor one then Slytherin. So it placed me Gryffindor. Besides it's my mother's house" I remind him.

"Right, she is a Prewett" he mutters.

"Why is there a lion at the table?" a voice demands.

"Show some respect, that lion is our head of houses daughter" another snaps.

"I should be getting back to my table anyways, so that I can get my time table" I state. "See you in class" I tell Draco. Before getting up and head over to my house table. I sit beside Hermione.

"What was that about?" she asks me.

"Family friend" I tell her with a shrug. I serve myself some breakfast and soon Professor McGonagall appears handing out time tables. She soon reaches Hermione and I.

"I've heard good things from your mother about your Transfiguration knowledge Miss Snape. I expect you to do well in my class" she tells me. As she handed us our time tables.

"I look forward to learning from you Professor McGonagall, my mother told me great things about you. Is it true you're an animagus?" I ask her.

"You'll see in class" she tells me with a smile before continuing down the table.

"What's an Animagus?" Hermione asks me curious.

"An animagus is a witch or wizard who can turn into an animal at will and back again. It was a learned skill, unlike the hereditary skill of a Metamorphmagus" I explain. "We won't be taught about them until our third year. But I plan to start learning about it this year" I tell her.

"Why?" she asks confused.

"To become one" I whisper.

"Could you use some help?" she asks me.

"I'd love your help, but remember it's our little secret" I tell her. She nods her head. We finish breakfast and I see Professor McGonagall leaving. "Come on, lets follow her to class" I state. Hermione nods her head and grabs her book bag. We run after Professor McGonagall.

"Good morning you two" she says when she notices us.

"Hope you don't mind us following you professor" I state.

"We just didn't want to get lost and be late" Hermione adds.

"Not at all" she assures us. We continue to walk to class. "Take any seat you wish" she tells us. We sit in the second row at the same table. The other first years start to arrive and I see we have this class with Slytherin.

Professor McGonagall checks we are all here, we are minus two students. Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley. "We shall start without them" she declares. "Now there are four different branches of Transfiguration" she states. "In these main four branches there were also sub-branches, such as human transfiguration and switching, which would be in the branch of Transformation. They were, in ascending order of difficulty: Transformation, Untransfiguration, Vanishment, and Conjuration" she explains. I raise my hand. "Yes, Miss Snape?" she asks.

"What about Animagus?" I ask her curious.

"That falls under human transfiguration, which you lot won't start studying until you third year. Though I will demonstrate how one transforms at will" she states. Another student raises her hand. "Yes, miss Parkinson?" she asks.

"What will be covering this year?" she asks.

"The Transfiguration alphabet, transfiguration formula, switching spell and simple transfiguration spells" she explains. "We'll start with small objects first, then move up to small animals. Which I will provide" she states. "Now please copy this down and take notes from the first chapter of your book" she says waving her wand at the board. A formula appears.

I get out my book and quill. I start to write with the others. When she turns into a cat. We all clap. I am so going to become an Animagus. As we continue to write Harry and Ron appear. "Whew, we made it. Can you imagine the look on McGonagall's face if we were late?" Ron asks Harry.  Professor McGonagall leaps off of the table turning back into a witch in front of them. "Tha was bloody brilliant" he tells her.

"Thank you for that assessment, Mr. Weasley. Perhaps if I were to transfigure Mr. Potter and yourself into a pocket watch, that way one of you might be on time" she states.

"We got lost" Harry tells her.

"Then perhaps a map? I trust you don't need one to find your seats" she states nodding to the only table available. They take their seats and she tells them what to do. Before sitting behind her desk.

When I finish my notes, I start to draw Professor McGonagall as her cat self. I am very good at drawing living things. As well as drawing things from memory. Soon class ended and she instructs to read up on the Transfiguration alphabet for home work. Before we left for Charms.

My first day of classes went well. Hermione and I found the library during Study Hall. And found a book on how to become an Animagus. The only thing missing was the instructions on how to make the potion. No doubt, it'd be in the restricted section. I may have to ask my dad for a note. I'll do it tomorrow after my lesson with him.

In Herbology we went over safety rules for the class. Then about the PPE (Personal protective equipment) we have to wear when handling certain plants. Sprout also said we'd be learning a few spells during class also. In Charms we learnt about the nature of Charms and how they differ from Transfiguration.

A/N

Picture above of Jasmine's time table.