Chapter Twenty-Eight- Allen:

School was exhausting today… Lilly was acting weird and Dex was complaining about sleep. Me? I was stuck in the middle of it on the way home.

When we pulled in, Lilly got out faster than Dex could open the door. We stared at her for a few seconds before Dex opened the door and got out, stretching out.

“Where did you even sleep last night?” I finally asked. “The couch?”

“You would not believe me if I told you.” he snapped. “And no.”

“Your hide-out?”

“No.”

“Hatori’s room.”

“No.”

“On the roof.”

“No.”

I thought of the options in the house. “Lilly’s room?”

He hesitated.

“Got you!”

“No!” he then started blushing. “God, just leave me alone…”

I smirked and followed him in. Hatori and Carol were waiting at the door. Lilly was behind them, getting ready to leave.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“We,” Hatori said. “Are getting hair-cuts.”

“NO!” Dex shouted.

Carol rolled her eyes. “Trust me, I denied it too, but he insisted.”

“And yet you’re also the one who brought the subject up.” Hatori pointed out.

She glared at him and walked upstairs, Lilly following.

“Are there any burritos left?” Dex asked, heading into the kitchen.

Me and Hatori watched him as he opened the fridge. He slammed it and mumbled things before coming back in the living room, plopping down on the couch, sleeping.

We glanced at each other before shrugging and going our separate ways, me upstairs. I heard music playing in Lilly’s room and I sneaked a peek inside. Carol and Lilly were dancing randomly to a song I didn’t recognize.

Carol noticed me, but continued dancing anyway. What was she planning? Usually she’s protective of her friends… I’ll get to the bottom of this. I left to go to my room and sat on my bed, staring outside.

Hikaru came home and some dogs came around and started attacking him playfully. He went along with it until he came inside, the dogs leaving instantly. I heard a chirp and saw a cardinal staring at me on a branch. It jumped a bit, tilting it’s head this way and that to get a better look at me.

Some sound came downstairs and I knew Hikaru was bothering Dex to get up. Footsteps stomped upstairs, a disappointed sigh and a bed squeaky as Dex collapsed on his bed. He really is tired.

Then a few hours later, Hatori called up to us, “We’re leaving for our haircuts in a few minutes. Ready?”

“Yeah!” Lilly called back.

“Sure…” I mumbled.

“Noooooo…” Dex and Carol both growled.

I got up and walked downstairs with Lilly beside me. She blushed and hurried down. Carol was behind me and Dex behind her. That’s when Carol grabbed the back of my shirt collar, choking me a second before I backed up to breath. She had a hand on Dex’s chest to stop him as well. He was looking at her confused.

“Alright you two.” she whispered. “Admit it.”

“What?” Dex and I said together.

She slapped us. “Admit that you like Lilly.”

“What the hell are you talking about?” Dex snapped.

“Exactly.” I said.

She glared at us. “Admit. It.”

Dex glared back and I just waited.

“Lilly said you,” she was looking at Dex. Then she whispered something I couldn’t tell. Whatever it was, it made him blush and go a little wide-eyed. “Then you,” she looked at me. “Took her for that walk and helped her with the groceries the first day. Dex tried to lean in on what we were saying, but Carol slapped him again without looking. I learned to not get on her bad side…

“Now.” she said suddenly. “Let’s get our damn hair cut.”

Then she left.

Dex and I stayed put for a few more seconds, stared after her before looking at each other.

“You don’t like Lilly, right?” I asked.

“Not no, but Hell no.” he snapped, following his sister.

“This is going to be exciting…” I said to myself sarcastically, following everyone out the door.