Chapter Nineteen- Lilly:

So that was where Dex goes to hide each night. Pretty cool place. But I’m not sure how Dex could sleep in a cave with a waterfall pounding down. That and how can I tell Dex that I heard him say my name in his mumbling?

This family is just revealing itself every day, more and more.

“Lilly!” I heard Allen call.

He was to the right of me and when I raised my hand, I saw Hikaru stop for a second, face me and run at me. Allen turned and as I was about to call out, I got pummeled by Hikaru.

A pop and Allen came up behind him. The look in his eyes told me that if Hikaru were the size of a Chihuahua, he would hold him by the scruff and drop kick the dog to who knows where.

Hikaru was wagging his tail and rubbing against me as I sat on the ground, petting the dog. “Lilly! I was worried about you! Where were you?”

Allen nodded, agreeing but not saying anything.

How am I going to tell the truth? Dex told me not to… “I found an amazing tree that I thought was comfortable and accidentally fell asleep.”

They both looked at me and nodded. Hikaru grabbed his clothes and trotted off behind a tree as he popped back. Allen touched my back and led me to the house. Hatori was reading on the couch with Carol in the kitchen, trying to find something to eat. I heard Dex upstairs meaning he probably just came through the window.

I walked into the kitchen and helped Carol make some hamburgers for lunch. She gladly accepted it and soon, we made a bunch of burgers that were demolished in nearly two minutes. I only had two while everyone else had three or four.

Afterwards, Hikaru was bugging Hatori about walking to town, but he just ignored the dog. I went upstairs as Carol hopped in front of me.

“We’re going to the mall, remember?” she said with a smile.

Oops… I forgot… “Of course!” I lied. “I was just about to change and get dressed.”

“Awesome. Meet you outside when you’re done.” she said, bounding down the stairs, four at a time before running to the door and closing it as she walked outside.

Shaking my head, I walked up to my room. Dex was still in his and Allen was closing the door to his. When I opened my door, Dex popped his head out, looked at me then quickly shut his door again.

Allen opened his door and I walked in mine before he could ask who closed his door. I changed out my damp clothes and changed into a yellow shirt with a flower on it with a knee-length skirt.

When I walked out, Allen was downstairs talking with Hatori about something. I walked down and when I came into view, Allen smiled and asked. “Where are you going?”

“Mall with Carol.” I replied. Waving, I opened the door. “Bye!”

We got to the mall and Carol was instantly in the girl section with perfume and clothes, jewelry and make-up. I followed her and I had no choice but to follow her because she had my wrist and wasn’t going to let go until we got in there.

She instantly started smelling different perfumes and asking me if I liked this one better than the other. Then before I knew what was happening, she bought each one in a small bottle.

Then she dragged me into one of the clothes stores. I started looking around with interest. There was some blue shirts with flowers that I liked, so I got one. Carol showed me a set of clothes that looked really interesting: A tight black shirt that had a moon and a black tree and a pair of dark jeans.

“That looks cool.” Carol observed. “Do you think I should get it?”

I looked at it harder. The shirt seemed a little see-through, which was weird for a black shirt. “I think we should both get it.”

“You would wear that?”

“Not often, but, yeah. I would wear it often.”

Carol shook her head. “Okaaay.” she took two shirts and two jeans. “At least wear the jeans more than once.”

“I know that.”

We got two pairs of shirts and one pair of pants each. We left after that and we walked in an accessory store. It had jewelry, headbands, bows, and other interesting things.

Carol really didn’t take any interest in most things unless it was the purses. I looked at the jewelry and kept debating whether or not to take the set of earrings with a matching necklace.

 She came up to me and tapped me on the shoulder and I jumped a little. “What?” I asked, still holding the set in my hands.

Taking them, she inspected them. “You should get them.”

“Why?”

“Because I have an idea.” she winked.

So we went and bought the jewelry, with her paying, and then we went to a dress shop. I already kind of liked the idea. Carol inhaled deeply and sighed. “Nothing better than getting a friend something for the coming up dance.”

“Wait,” I said. “a dance?”

“Of course. You didn’t know? It’s everywhere in town.”

“It’s not the Prom, is it?”

“No.” she laughed a little, picking up a dress. “It’s just the simple seasonal dance.”

“So it’s the winter dance?” I asked, looking at the dress before shaking my head and picking up another one.

“Yep. You missed the fall one, but I heard those are boring. It’s after the fall dance that the party’s step up.” Carol smiled.

I shrugged. How am I supposed to answer her. Should I go? Or just stay home?

“Here’s a dress you might like.” Carol said, bringing it over.

“It’s perfect!” I exclaimed.

Of course it would be. I mean, it was a light pink one-strap dress with a white ribbon that tied on the side. Then the jewelry was diamond with a pink background shaped like hearts.

We instantly bought it and got it in a plastic clothing bag and we walked out of the mall with the stuff we bought outside to the car. Putting everything but the dress in the back, we got in and I hung up the dress on one of the in-car hangers.

When we got to the house, we were debating about how to get the dress inside without the boys sneaking a peek at it. Carol decided she’d set up a diversion in the backyard and I’d sneak the dress in.

She hopped out and ran to the backyard. I grabbed the dress and waited at the front door, waiting for the signal. Finally, I heard the trashcans being dumped over and footsteps rushing toward the backdoor.

Taking the chance, I opened the door and ran upstairs as I heard three voices shouting at Carol who just snapped back. But I only heard three voices. Where was the fourth?

“How was your shopping trip?” Dex asked as I was about to open my door.