Chapter Twenty

As it turned out, Haven found much enjoyment in reading. I credited that to Marigold, though. Marigold spent months teaching Haven how to read and write. Haven was bound to fall in love with books, since someone she loved was who taught her about them.

I slowly approached Haven in the library and cleared my throat as to not startle her. She gazed up at me and even smiled.

"I apologize for interrupting," I said, leaning over her. The familiar golden leaf on the red leather cover made my heart leap excitedly. "Ah! I know that story too well. A traveling author wrote that for me when I was sixteen. His name is Carlo Bianchi, and he is originally from Occidentis Caelum. Oh, his mind is full of colorful ideas. He has stories of all kinds to tell—real and fantasy. And this one"—I plopped into the chair across from Haven—"is one of a kind. This is the only copy. He said he would never make more because he wanted it to be special for me."

Haven parted her lips, and I grinned.

"That book is about overcoming your fears and becoming a better version of yourself. Life is an adventure, Haven." I lifted my eyebrows. "Would you like to go on one?"

Although she neither spoke nor nodded, her eyes lit up.

I was aware even then how awful it was to make Haven do this. She was a small child, yet that made me want to trust her with this. I realized she would likely ask Marigold a hundred questions about this later. I was prepared for the consequences. I needed that diary. I felt desperate for it.

I spent the next thirty minutes drawing out the layout of the barracks and explaining to Haven where to go. She listened and stared at the map, and she nodded whenever I glanced up at her.

"You should find a diary beneath the floorboards," I whispered. "Bring it to me immediately, Haven. It is very important. Can you do this for me?"

Haven looked down at her hands, and I smiled knowingly.

"In return, I will gift you anything you wish."

She met my gaze again and I watched the corners of her lips slowly rise. I knew without a doubt she could do this.

We exited the library together and made our way down to the garden. The entire time, I checked over my shoulder in hopes that Marigold didn't start looking for us. Her protection over Haven knew no bounds. She worried whenever too much time passed without seeing Haven. Therefore, I touched Haven's shoulder and waited until she looked up at me.

"You must hurry," I said.

Haven faced forward and giggled. Before I could comprehend what that meant, she took off toward the barracks. I nearly cried out her name, having not been prepared for her to go yet. I had hoped to reach the fountain first, and then separate from there. It seemed Haven had her own plan.

"Great Holy Deity," I murmured under my breath.

"Tati!" Marigold sang.

I closed my eyes. "Great Holy Deity." Then I grinned as I turned to her. "Marigold! Did you decide to take a stroll, too?"

Marigold stopped in front of me and sighed. "Haven told me she would be in the library. I went there to ask her if she needed anything, and she wasn't there. Have you seen her?"

"How strange. I saw her there a moment ago." I tugged on my lace gloves. "She couldn't have gone too far."

Marigold turned away from me and glanced around. I saw her bring her hand up to her mouth, lower it, and then raise it again. I felt guilt twist in the pit of my stomach as I watched her. Despite this, I continued to be selfish.