Chapter Twenty-Four

Jewellen 18, 1583
(7/18/1583)

Thirty-six days before

I smiled as I listened to Philip describe his day visiting the Berney Vineyards. Lord Berney sat quietly with an even wider grin on his face. I wondered sometimes why he was so proud of those fields. Yes, they were his family's land and famously known in many kingdoms for creating the finest wine. Yet he never actually did any of the work. I knew for a fact his ancestors had worked tirelessly to tend to the vineyard and packaged the wine themselves. Morning to sunset, they never stopped.

There were many stories about their accomplishments. I understood the difference between then and now was that Lord Berney had enough wealth to hire workers so he wouldn't have to work, but I believed it wouldn't kill him to get his hands dirty from time to time. That certainly would humble him plenty and make him more tolerable to be around.

Philip quite enjoyed his company, and yes, the Berney family had played a crucial role on the royal council for decades. I simply wished he was a bit livelier.

I glanced forward at Elouise who pushed her carrots to the side of her plate. I couldn't believe how much she'd grown. It felt as though I had blinked and nearly eight years passed when I had opened my eyes again. I prayed Lord Berney wouldn't give Elouise a difficult time once she was queen. He left me alone for the most part, but I overheard him a few days ago discuss his concerns about Elouise. I could admit Elouise didn't always behave her best. She loved mischief, which—at times—included teasing Lord Berney over his very expressive faces and his "angry unkind" voice. Fortunately, Philip had stopped him from speaking further and warned him to watch his tongue when it came to Elouise.

"She is merely a child," he'd told Berney as they walked past my study. "Let her be. One day, she will be an adult, and I will yearn for the days of her running through the corridors and urging me to play with her."

I smiled at Philip again and took a sip of that famous wine from the Berney Vineyards. It certainly was delicious, and I refused to let Berney know that. Therefore, when I wanted a refill, I discreetly asked Lily by signaling to my chalice and nodding at her from across the room. Rather than her returning to refill my cup, a young gentleman arrived at my side and did so himself. Afterwards, he bowed, avoiding my gaze, and quickly left. Then Lily entered and grinned as she came to my side.

"He is new here," she explained. "He pleaded with me to let him be the one to serve you. I hope you do not mind, Your Majesty."

I sipped the wine and shook my head. "I do not mind at all. I find it rather sweet. Thank you, Lily. And please, do sit down and have yourself a plate. I will be fine."

She curtsied and walked away.

"Mother," Elouise addressed. "I'm finished! May I go outside?"

Philip laughed. "Not at this hour, darling. You are to have a bath drawn for you. Do not forget your friends Daisy, Mercia, and Ofelia will be visiting tomorrow."

"Oh... of course, Father." Elouise excused herself.

Lily followed her out.

Philip frowned and looked at me. "Did I say something wrong?"

"No, you didn't," I assured him. "Although I adore those girls and know they are the perfect ladies-in-waiting for her, Elouise hasn't formed a bond with them. At least not in the way she has with Henry."

"She will, though!" Marigold chimed in. "Soon enough, she will be like you and I, Tati. It was quiet between us when we first met, too."

"Yes, I remember that quite well." Despite her nature, Elouise struggled to make friends. She hardly spoke with her second cousin, Alaina—daughter of my cousin, the Duke of Estria. Alaina was older and treated Elouise like a little sister to play with. I found it precious. Elouise, on the other hand, never seemed fond of it. No, of course not. When it came to being dragged around, she preferred being the one to pull the reins.