Prologue

I do not believe there is any such thing as ordinary.

Not a single soul lives a perfectly normal life. Even if it appears so on the outside. Nobody should be deceived by appearances.

I know well for I managed to deceive an entire kingdom. They saw everything I wanted them to see and believed every word that came from my lips. I am their queen, after all. They never had a reason to suspect me of hiding anything from them. This did not occur with bad intentions, though.

I was raised to be honest, fair, and kind.

But as the Queen of Aristol, I've always had many choices to make. Some easier than others. This particular choice was one of the few I troubled with the most. Not only did it concern the safety of my people, but it concerned my own daughter.

From the very moment she opened her eyes, I knew a challenge awaited us. Despite my husband's beliefs and my best friend's beliefs, I refuse to change my mind. I am not wrong.

Evil lurks in the shadows, waiting for the opportunity to strike. Building up power to destroy my family. That is why my sweet Elouise was born. She is meant to protect all of us and secure a future where they will never be able to taunt the kingdom again.

That is the hope the Warrior Angels have, anyway.

Elouise is merely eight years old. She is so innocent. Such innocence must be protected for as long as it can.

The angels have sent me messages in my dreams. They promise me she has time to grow, to learn, and to awaken her magic. I hope they are right.

For I am now on my deathbed, struggling with every deep breath.

I have hidden materials Elouise will need when the time comes. Fayre knows the truth, even if she doesn't believe it. At least she knows nearly everything that I do. Once she sees Elouise's power, she will remember, and she will believe. Then she will guide her the way I had hoped to. My unsuspecting and horribly skeptical husband will be playing a part in this, too. Without realizing it, he will lead our daughter to my secrets. I believe in him. And I know he will one day believe in magic.

I am so tired. I best call for Elouise before it is too late.

I know they did this to me. Their first threat to her will be my dead body. How cruel, isn't it? To use a child's own mother against them.

I hope she never learns about this. They will never get true satisfaction if she never does.

The room is getting darker.

I yearn to see my darling brother one last time. He should know I forgive him. I never stopped loving him. Who could ever stop loving their other half?

Memories are flowing into one. Yet if I concentrate hard enough, I can remember it all so clearly still. And I realize, so dreadfully in my final moments, that I am not ready to say goodbye. And now that I consider it better, goodbyes are actually ordinary.

Too ordinary for me.