Chapter One

Thirteen years earlier.

"Tatianna! You are keeping us all waiting again."

I quit smiling at my reflection and groaned. Grandmother Luciana never shied away from showing her true feelings.

"Do not mind her, love," I whispered, waving my hand and imitating my mother's voice. "She treated me the same. She lacked a motherly figure growing up. That is why she despises women." And why she treats Edward like he's the heir to the throne instead of me.

Even if great grandmother Beatrice failed to be affectionate, I didn't believe that excused Grandmother Luciana's behavior.

"Tatianna!"

"Oh dear," I gasped. "Her voice is cracking. She is serious now." Yet I giggled and still lingered a moment longer. The gown I adorned was a design I had in mind and described to my seamstress a few months ago. I'd almost thought she'd forgotten about it until I was presented with it this morning.

"I'd never used so much lace in my life," said Linda, struggling to hold up the gown. "But I believe it turned out just fine."

It'd turned out perfectly. As I had envisioned it.

I twirled a little and smiled again. A layer of lace fell over the burgundy silk skirt. I traced the rose designs on the fabric with my forefinger. Then I did the same to the lace sleeves. Even the smallest details—thorns and fallen petals—from her description had been captured.

Before I finally turned to leave, I reached for my white gloves. I put them on while walking across the room. But when I reached the door, I paused again and spared one last glance at the final look.

Grandmother started to bang her fist on the door. I rolled my eyes then took a deep breath, composing myself. Somehow, I managed to smile as I opened the door.

"Grandmother, honestly, I am hardly late," I said, hoping the playfulness in my tone didn't sound too forced.

Grandmother Luciana turned away and briskly walked ahead of me. I followed at my own pace and watched a few strands of her silver hair fall out of her bun. She had been in such a rush to yank me out of my bedchamber that she hadn't bothered doing her hair well.

"In a week, you will be seventeen years old," she spoke. "When will you begin to behave like a proper young lady?" She stopped for a moment and shook her head. I could see a hint of a smirk. Incoming insult in... one, two, three...

"No, the real question is, when will you begin to behave like the future queen you're supposed to be?"

I laughed, and she turned to glare at me. Although such a look never fazed me, I cleared my throat and stared hard back at her.

"When the time comes, I will be ready, Grandmother," I said. "As of right now, I have plenty of years to go. My only concern is where Edward is." He'd sneaked out last night again. I had no problem mentioning this to our grandmother. Edward could use inappropriate language in front of her, and she'd still consider him so darling. But he was still my brother and what he did in the ungodly hours of the night was none of her business.

Mentioning him brightened her features.

"He is in the dining hall with everyone else," she informed.

"Waiting on me, too?"

"We all were. I wouldn't blame them if they started to eat already." Grandmother Luciana spun forward and hurried off. "You are a selfish little girl," she muttered under her breath like I couldn't hear. The walls always echoed, though.

A Princess' Taleजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें