Chapter Fourteen

The best way to describe Marigold would be to say she was unbelievably kind and wanted to help everyone. She never asked for anything in return. She shined with joy whenever she accomplished something grand. It was no wonder how my other two ladies—Maria and Jenni—were not as close to her as Fayre and I were. Maria and Jenni worried themselves with future marriage and children, keeping their distance from me every single day.

Marigold, however, wished to save the world before she even considered love.

It was why I could not bring myself to be surprised when she came home one day, holding hands with a small girl. The girl was covered in filth, and her white gown had been torn in various areas. Her tangled red hair was hidden beneath Marigold's floppy hat as if to cover the damage. I could see how matted it was, with a sticky substance that I prayed was merely honey.

Fayre stepped closer and stood beside me, staring wide-eyed at the girl. "Mari... who is this?"

"It took me quite a while, but she finally told me her name is Haven," said Marigold.

Haven kept staring at the floor, pouting. She shivered slightly. I wondered if from fear or cold.

"Where are her parents?" I asked.

Marigold frowned. "I did my best to search. Nobody knows who she is or where she came from. I could not leave her out there and I refused to take her to the orphanage in Lunas."

I blinked. "Do they have a horrible reputation? Is this something I must look into?"

"I'm sure they do not. I just didn't want to take her and leave her with strangers."

"You are a stranger to her, Mari," Fayre reminded.

"Not anymore! We exchanged names." Marigold kneeled in front of Haven and smiled. "Besides, we have plenty of room in this castle. She will fit in perfectly with us!"

I glanced at Fayre, who shook her head and shrugged.

Then I giggled and faced Haven. "Who am I to deny such an adorable guest?" I moved toward her and stopped when I heard her gasp. "My apologies, dear. I will not get any closer if you do not wish me to."

"She is the queen, darling," Marigold told her.

Haven looked blankly at her.

"How old is she?" I asked. "She does not appear to be any older than four years old." Saying it out loud made my heart ache. Why would anyone leave their young daughter out there alone?

"That is my guess, too," Marigold said. "She hasn't told me anything other than her name." She stood up and began to lead Haven out of there. "Come along, Haven. Let's get you cleaned up and into something nicer." With that, they left the dining hall.

"Do you feel strange about that little girl?" I asked Fayre. "I truly feel awful for her situation. No child should be abandoned like that."

"Her parents must be heartless creatures," said Fayre, folding her arms across her chest.

I swallowed hard and touched my chest.

Fayre side-eyed me. "Are you alright, Anna?"

I swallowed again. "I must be feeling uneasy about this. I had a small wave of nausea, but it has passed. I'm fine."

"You've been having that a lot recently." She fully turned to me and blanched. "Could it be?"

I froze.

For the past two years, Philip and I have tried for a child. A few months after our wedding night, I showed the signs of success. Three months after that, I had a bump to show for it. And that was as far I had gotten.