Chapter Seven

All good things must come to an end.

That meant saying goodbye to Prince Philip. His trip was nearing its end. It felt so bittersweet, even if we had spent nearly every moment together for the past two months.

He'd taken me everywhere, teaching me new things about my own home. I couldn't hide these trips from my parents forever. Not even Edward could save me. Fortunately, after getting to know Philip a little better, they encouraged me to go with him. However, knights had to accompany us, which was fine. I couldn't complain. It felt better than doing this without their knowledge. Although rebellion had been exciting, it was not within me to be like my brother.

Speaking of my brother, now that I was admittedly less distracted, I noticed his frequent absence. On Philip's final day in Aristol, as I awaited him in the garden, I was joined by Fayre. Immediately, I asked her about Edward's whereabouts, hoping to catch her off guard. My assumption was that a secret would slip out that would also ease my worries about him.

Instead, I caught desperation in my dearest friend's eyes. She cleared her throat and blinked back her hidden fear.

"I, I am not sure," she said, turning her head away from me. I knew she was being truthful because I heard the little tremble in her voice. Quite unlike her and very concerning.

Fayre had seemed off the past few weeks. Whereas before I saw her glowing with the effects of love, I now found her alone, lost in thought, and a bit stern. She sometimes wore an expression as if she'd smelled something awful. I knew she likely hadn't been seeing much of my brother. He'd been hiding from her, too.

"Here comes Prince Philip," Fayre announced, rising from her seat beside me.

I frowned up at her, though I focused on the figure walking up to us in my peripheral. "Do stay."

"Tati." Fayre smiled in return. She leaned down slightly, whispering, "I am not ruining this moment for you."

If it weren't for the Edward situation, I would've laughed and thanked her. It felt wrong to do so now. It felt wrong that I was experiencing the beauty she had shared with Edward. Despite their wondrous years together, so suddenly it was vanishing. I noted Fayre's trembling lower lip as she tried her best to keep smiling.

Philip reached us. I stood slowly. Fayre curtsied and excused herself, escaping from our sights before I could think to stop her.

Philip eyed me curiously, and I wished I could ignore the flutter in my stomach.

"Is something wrong?" he asked.

I knew I could tell him honestly, and he would listen until he had to leave. Yet it was because he was leaving that I selfishly grinned at him and lied.

"Yes, something is wrong. You are leaving." I suppose I also did not want to ruin this moment for me. I knew I would despise myself later for only thinking about my own needs.

Philip beamed at me, and it made everything feel a little more worth the trouble.

"I will return as soon as I can," he promised, and I believed him.

"Until then, is it alright to write to you?"

"Of course! I already look forward to your letters."

I laughed and shook my head. "I would like to thank you, Philip."

He arched an eyebrow. "You want to thank me?"

"You have shown me far more than I have ever seen for myself. Admittedly, I'm ashamed for how little I knew about my own home. Therefore, I thank you for opening my eyes and allowing me to learn alongside you. It's been an honor indeed. I hope everyone back home appreciates all the information you gathered here..." I trailed off, forgetting everything else I had wanted to say when I noticed him gazing softly at me.

I touched my cheek, praying to the Great Holy Deity that I did not have something on my face. Then Philip reached forward and took my hand into his. I tensed and held my breath.

"I've always believed in fate," he said. "I know it was fate that brought us together."

I exhaled, holding onto those words. And then I smiled again.

We sat for a while, mostly in silence. I enjoyed every second. Eventually, servants came to us and informed us Philip's carriage to the docks had arrived. I thanked and dismissed the servants. Philip and I stood, facing each other.

He bowed and I curtsied.

And we said nothing else as he walked away. I couldn't go with him and watch his carriage disappear into the distance. My heart felt empty and dull. Despite having only known Philip for such a little time, I knew I wanted him closer for so much longer. I wanted the comfort of his warm touch and of his soothing voice.

I had to trust he would return. I had to trust we would write to each other often. The feelings he gave me... I didn't want them to fade. And I merely hoped he felt the same.

---
It was late in the evening when I finally saw my brother. He'd missed our meals, and I followed him into the pantry where he sought out anything to hush his stomach.

"Where have you been?" I demanded.

Edward stuffed his mouth with berries and shrugged. He moved onto the next station, cutting off a piece of untouched loaf.

"Eddie, it's late," I reminded him.

"And I'm famished, Anna. Can we do this later?" He ate the piece of bread, then grabbed the entire loaf and started to bite into it.

I gawked at him. "How repulsive. Now nobody else can eat from that. If you knew you were gong to be out all day, you should've gone prepared so you wouldn't return like this."

Edward swallowed and groaned. "My apologies, Mother."

"Yes, I'm aware I might sound every bit like her, but I was worried about you. I asked Fayre if she had been with you. It quickly became obvious to me that she also hadn't seen you in days."

He quit moving and stared at me. "Why would you assume I would be with Fayre?"

I felt tempted to confess that I knew everything about them. However, I acknowledged this wasn't the time or place.

"What other friends do you have besides us?" I teased instead.

Edward glanced over his shoulder. We were alone for now, but any moment now, servants would enter to start cleaning everything. Without voicing this, we both walked out and made our way upstairs to the library. We sat across from each other at the long table, and I squinted at him as I waited for him to speak first.

"His Highness departed today, didn't he?" he asked.

I sighed. "Yes."

"That is why you've begun to pay attention to me again." Edward frowned. "Perhaps it was better when he was around, then."

"I know I have been a little lost in my thoughts recently, but I am paying attention now." I leaned forward in my chair. "Where are you going all the time, Eddie? I hope you're not getting yourself into any trouble."

Edward chuckled and ruffled his dark locks with his hand. "If you are going to be this insistent, I'll tell you something I've been learning about." He also leaned forward, grinning. It made my stomach drop for it wasn't a smile I recognized.

"I have to ask this first," he said. "Have you ever heard of the Warrior Angels?"

It's quite humorous and even a little cruel how meaningless certain questions or words may seem.

I could have never imagined how crucial that strange phrase would become. I had no idea how much it would change my entire life.

But all good things must come to an end.