Chapter One

Three year old Ariana Morgenstern was playing in her bedroom waiting for her father and twin brother to get home so that she could play with Jonathan or Nathan as Aria called him. She was the only one that called him that and he called her Ana in return those were their nicknames from each other and the twins made sure that everybody knew it.

Jocelyn walked into the daughters room with a duffle bag, she had just found out not too long ago that she was pregnant again and she saw the dark path that her husband was going down, the way he was succumbing to the madness and she had to protect, her youngest child in a way that she failed to protect the twins, from Valentines experiments.

Neither of them seemed to show signs of effects of the experiments as of now but they were still just young so that could change, she smiled at Aria, the elder redhead knew that it wasn;t going to be easy to get Aria to leave since Jonathan wasn't there to come with them. "Mommy? What are you doing? What is the bag for?" she tilted her head in confusion, she was very smart and perceptive to only be three, both of the twins were.

Jocelyn smiled at the young girl, "well I'm going to pack some of your stuff into it and we're going on a little trip." That part was true, they just weren't ever coming back.

Aria crossed her arms over her chest and shook her head, "we can't leave, Nathan and daddy aren't back yet, we can't leave without them."

"They aren't coming with us Aria."

The three year old stood defiantly, "well then neither am I, if Nathan isn't going then I'm not going anywhere."

Jocelyn sighed, she knew that this wasn't going to be easy to convince her daughter to leave her twin behind but she didn't have a choice, she couldn't let Valentine find out about the baby that she was carrying now. "We have to Ariana, it's not safe here for us or your new brother or sister."

Aria shook her head tears welling up in her eyes "I don't care I'm not leaving if Nathan isn't coming with us."

Jocelyn had been packing things into the bag as she spoke to Ariana, sighed again she knew what she had to do and she knew that if Aria remembered this when she was older she would be very upset about it but first she had to get the girl out of Fairchild manor, before Valentine returned. "Okay then how about this," she zipped the bag up having packed enough things for little Aria, "Daddy and Jonathan will be home soon, how about we play hide and seek and they can find us when they get home and then we can leave, and Jonathan could come with us?"

Aria's eyes lit up. She loved playing hide and seek with her parents and twin, and also she thought that she had won since her mom had said that Nathan could come with them when he got home. She nodded her head vigorously. "Okay Mommy." the she grabbed her mother's hand and then the older woman picked Aria up and made her way out of the three-year-old's room and before Aria could comprehend she was fast asleep because Jocelyn knew that she would not be able to get her out of the house without Aria kicking and screaming, making her go to sleep was the easiest solution to that problem and then Jocelyn left Fairchild manor

By the time Aria awoke from her forced sleep, the two were far away from the Shadow World and in the mundane world in New York city, it was the perfect place to hide, Valentine would never think that they would be in the mundane world. Aria rubbed her eyes, "mommy?"

Jocelyn walked in at that moment "yes sweetie?"

"What happened?"

"You fell asleep."

Ariana looked around not recognizing her surroundings "where are we, this isn't home."

"It is now."

Aria's eyes welled up with tears realizing that her mother had tricked her and Nathan was never going to come with them, her little lip quivered, a feeling of betrayal shot through her as she burst into tears at being separated from her twin brother. Jocelyn hugged her daughter but stubborn little Aria pushed her away, "you lied to me, Nathan was never going to come with us."

Jocelyn wiped the tears from her daughter's face "I am sorry sweetheart but there wasn't a choice, I had to think about you and your unborn little sister or brother, Jonathan wasn't there and I couldn't wait any longer."

"We never leave each other for long, he's going to come home and expect me to be there and then I'm not going to be and he's going to think that we abandoned him."

"Your brother will be okay Aria." the three-year-old laid back down and turned away from her mother and as more tears started falling down her face as she closed her eyes and focused on her connection to her twin, feelings of sadness washed over her, which only made her cry harder.

She projected her emotions to him, to try and let him know that she didn't want to leave him. Shadowhunter twins were rare and much closer than normal twins, they had a bond which was much stronger than any other bond in the Shadow World even a Parabatai bond wasn't as strong as a Shadowhunter twin bond. it allowed them to feel each other's emotions when it was strong enough naturally or project their emotions to the other twin.

Jocelyn had no idea that this very moment was the moment that would push Aria away from her and her little sibling because Aria would grow to resent them both, especially after Jonathan's supposed death. She would grow to blame Jocelyn and in turn her unborn sibling since Jocelyn had told her that they left to protect them, in Aria's eyes her mother could have waited a few more hours and brought Nathan with them and in turn it would have saved his life and she wouldn't have lost her twin.

And it would be even worse when Aria realized that her mother had her bond with Nathan blocked by a warlock which was the reason she stopped being about to sense him which was her main source of comfort being separated from him with no way to get back to him. And then the news about Valentine burning Fairchild Manor down with himself and Jonathan inside, Aria thought that Jonathan dying was the reason she could sense him anymore but oooh was she in for a shock when the truth was revealed to her. It would only drive a rift between the mother and daughter even more.

***
I'm rewatching Shadowhunters right and just the urge to rewrite this and change a few things up hit me and here we are so here is the new first chapter and this book will now include character bashing such as Clary and Jocelyn and IDK who else yet XD but you will notice the changes. I hope you guys enjoy it though.