Beard - A

Y/N POV

You get it. Being famous and in a constant lime light cannot be easy. Of course it isn't. Your every move almost always being pictured. You have to hold this certain personsa in public to stay out of the tabloids and stay rumour free. You get it.

Even when knowing all of this, it doesn't stop from the gut wrenching feeling when opening the link to the newest article. Your girlfriends face plastered over it hand in hand with a man. You don't even know his name, not that you actually care. You know about this arrangement. Florence is 'dating' this dude to keep the gossipers off her back.

You and Florence have been dating for a little under 2 years officially. You two had met at a bar downtown and hit it off. She was guarded at first, you don't blame her with the number of crazy and creepy people out there, but once she let you in, it was perfect. She loved well, and hard. Well, perfect apart from having to sit in your apartment watching your girlfriend strolling the streets with her 'boyfriend'.

You couldn't look at it any longer and turned your phone off. You knew you really had no right to be angry. You had agreed to this after all. It was only for the public. Nothing more than been seen together. This didn't ease the aching in your chest. You wanted to cry, or scream, or just disappear but all you could do was stare blank TV screen infront of you.

You don't know how long has passed, far too in your head to pay attention, you hear the sound of keys dropping into the bowl at the front door. Florence.

"Hey baby" Florence smiles, pulling the sunglasses off of her head that she had been pictured wearing earlier in the day. "Hi" you reply with a flat tone. Florence's eyebrows furrowed at your lack of enthusiasm that she was home. She slowly made her way over to you and sat beside you. "What's wrong love?" She asks. The name felt like a sting at this moment in time.

"I can't do this Florence" you say, still starring at the TV screen. "What?" Florence asks, panic starting to creep up in her voice. "I'm saying, I can't do this anymore" you turn to face her this time. "Wh-what do you mean?" She reaches for your hands. She genuinely didn't know what you were talking about, but by the sight she walked in on, it was not good.

"I can't keep doing this Florence. I can't keep opening my phone and every time I do, see you with him. I know that it's not real. That's not what this is about. This is about the fact that I love you. So much. But he gets to be the one to be with you in public. He gets to hold your hand walking down the street. He's the one that you get questioned about. You come home to me but not one person knows who I am. And that really fucking hurts" you begin crying, trying to wipe away the tears but they're not stopping.

"Baby stop this" she pleads "I love you, I love you more than I could ever put into words. You knew it had to be like this. I couldn't risk the suspicion. I'm not ready to come out." She explains, trying to keep a steady voice. You scoff at her explanation. "Florence, we have been officially together for nearly two years. You didn't have to have a fake boyfriend. You chose to do that. I completely understand and would never make you come out when you didn't feel 100% ready. I'd never hold that to you. But two years and you've had a fucking beard the entire time." You're now pacing because of the pent up anxiety. Florence didn't know what to say, she completely understood where your hurt was coming from. She hated that she was the one doing this to you. "I don't know what to say Y/N" she began "I'm so sorry you feel like this, I love you, I only want to be with you, but I don't know how to go about reversing this".

"You love me, but just not enough to try and make a change to this arrangement" you whisper. Florence suddenly becoming very interested on the floor. "I'm not doing this anymore Florence, I don't mind people not knowing, I don't mind that you aren't ready to come out. What I do mind is that after all this time, you have to hide any possibility of us by parading around with a man. I won't do that. I don't need to be constantly public with you, but people knowing of my existence would be nice. When you've figured out if you really want this relationship, give me a call. But for now, I can't do it, because its shattering me from the inside out." You finish, you don't even wait for a reply as you walk upstairs you pack your things.

The deafening silence once you've ascended upstairs is unbearable. Florence sat on the couch with tears streaming down her face, she wanted to run upstairs and beg you to stay, plead with you that she'll fix this but she didn't know how to start. She will fix this. She will.

A/N - I had this idea but I'm not sure if I liked how it came out tbh. If people like it though, I might make a part 2 if theres interest?
Hope you're all okay!! Have a good day