Part Eight!

“Please just leave me alone.”

                “I want to help you- why are your knuckles bloody?”  He gasps, taking hold of your hand and peering back up at you.

                “I don’t wan-“

                “At least let me help you clean up,”  his eyes bore into yours as he begs.  You finally just give up trying and nod your head slowly.  He wraps an arm around you gently, leading you both to the kitchen toward the sink.  His rough hands move gently, turning on the warm water and letting the water run across your hands as he holds them, carefully moving his fingers across them, scratching off the dried blood.  It’s a comfortable silence as he focuses on your hands, cleaning them until there isn’t a trace of what happened earlier.  Taking the hand towel, he wraps your hands in it, drying them and throws the towel back on the counter.

                He intertwines your fingers with his, leading you to the living room and sitting on the couch.  You pause, he pats the seat next to him, and you reluctantly sit.  His green eyes meet yours again; you look away and his deep voice speaks carefully.

                “What happened?”

                “Niall.”

                “What did he do?”

                “Ni-Niall’s new girlfriend.  Kendall.”  You can’t help but stutter over Niall’s name as the memories of the day’s events come back.  Niall had said you changed, he had said he didn’t think you would do that.  Did you really change?  Is that what drove him off?  These thoughts continue and before you know it, Harry has you held in a hug as tears roll down your cheeks.

                “It’s okay love.  It’s okay.”  He whispers, stroking your hair softly.

                “He said I changed.  I don’t know what I did.”  Your voice cracks and you wrap your arms around Harry, hugging him tightly back.  Long moments pass as you stay together, holding one another close as he dries your tears gently.  “Should I just give up on him?”  Your voice is as soft as a feather when speaking and even in the silence, Harry can just barely hear you.

                “It depends on what your heart is feeling.  If it wants him, fight for him.  If it doesn’t, why bother?”  His words float in the silence as you think over them.

                “How could I get him back?”

                “Make him jealous?”

                “I don’t know how.  There’s not a guy I could have help me with it anyways.”

                “Erm, maybe I-I could help you?”  Harry looks into your eyes innocently. 

                “But what would the press think?”

                “Why should the press matter?  If you’re happy, I’m happy, and the press should be happy.  That’s all that matters.”

                “How would this work though?”

                “I could be your,” he puts air quotes, “’boyfriend’ and you could be my ‘girlfriend’ and we go out in public, be mushy gushy, make sure Niall sees it, and let the jealousy anger him enough to the point he comes back.”  Harry laughs at his own little plan and you stare at the ground, lost in thought again.