Chapter 2

A L E X I S _ P A R R I S H

THE TEAM VENTURES our way through the house of a 911 call, checking every door for a possible emergency.

"LA fire" Cap calls out into the house as we follow through the hall. I trudge behind Chimney and stop in my tracks as I hear the hissing sound of what I'm really hoping isn't a snake. Fear courses through my veins and my fight or flight instincts kick in.

After a few seconds I inhale deeply, preparing myself to come face to face with the worst animal to be around, second worst. Buckley has rightfully earned the number one spot.

Walking further into the house we come face to face with a snake wrapped around some weird-looking sculpture.

"Oh, please no" I say taking a step back from the scene.

Chimney stands frozen in his place, his face pale as he looks up to the hissing snake. I would normally take this opportunity to make fun of him but seeing as we're both afraid, I'll let it slide this time.

"Guys, in here. Back here guys... Now"

I quickly follow Bobby, excited to get away from that thing. We enter the bedroom and I almost shriek at the snake, now ten times bigger than the previous one. I feel my heart racing in my chest.

"I think I'm gonna sit this one out guys" I say keeping to the side as my pulse races, ready to jump out of the nearest window if things go south.

Bobby and Hen quickly rush to the pink haired woman who is currently being choked by said snake. I find it very hard to sympathize with her as no normal person would ever consider keeping a snake as a pet.

"We gotta help her get some air guys" Cap says as he wraps his hand around the snake trying to get it off.

"Oh, this is not good" Chimney says keeping his distance.

"Bobby it's no use, that thing is like ten feet long. It's constriction strength us like 50 pounds per square inch" Hen recites.

I raise a brow at her extensive knowledge of snakes, still rooted in my position near the window.

"I'm gonna start calling you snakepedia.. Stop it" Chimney freaks out at her as the snake tightens its hold on its owner.

"All I'm saying is that you'd stand a better chance of tearing down a cement wall with your bare hands" Hen clarifies quickly as Cap continues to try and release some of the pressure around the girl's neck.

"Why don't I just punch it in its face?" Buckley asks sounding like the idiot that he is.

"You can't punch it stupid, it's a snake you idiot." I roll my eyes at his question. Sometimes I wonder if he thinks before he speaks.

"You're so mean" Chimney laughs at my choice of adjectives. I smile, despite the annoyed look on Buck's face.

"It's not some guy at an El Torito happy hour" Bobby concludes desperately trying to get the snake to release its hostage.

"Look, I have dilaudid, we can inject the snake and it'll pass right out" Hen moves to get the sedative from the aid kit.

"How much time is that gonna take?" I ask now concerned at the state of the woman.

"Minutes and minutes we don't have"

"I think we're gonna have to put it down" Cap says.

Chimney jumps at the opportunity and suggests we kill it, much to Hen's protesting.

"It's a snake, it's doing what nature intended for it to do... Nobody told this fool to bring a snake into her house" Hen protests, opposed to the idea.