Chapter 4

A L E X I S _ P A R R I S H

"BUCK, WE CAME in at the wrong angle.. I'm gonna have you climb up there, harness him in and hang tight while we move the truck.. You think you can handle that?" Bobby asks receiving a smile from the young firefighter.

The sky is dark, and the light breeze tickles my face after a hot day in the sun. The panicked cries of the people stuck on the roller-coaster contrast with the calm soothing winds.

"Parrish, I need you to turn the truck as soon as Buck is up there" Cap orders as Hen and Chimney check on the victim on the ground.

"On it cap" I reply walking over to the driver's seat of the fire engine.

"Ready when you are" I exclaim out the window, seated comfortably at the wheel.

"Everybody try to stay calm, we'll get you down, I promise, alright" Buck says as the ladder extends.

"I need you to relax, I need you to breathe and I need you to keep as still as possible. You move less, you stay safe. We get everyone off this ride safe"

As soon as Buck climbs onto the roller-coaster, Bobby gives me the signal to move the truck. I carefully check the mirrors as I back away from the roller-coaster and then park it at a better angle, ready for Buck to get down.

"Parrish, get the ladder up and help Buckley get them down" Captain instructs and I quickly get myself onto the truck and up the ladder. I take a deep breath before climbing up the roller coaster on opposite ends of Buck. The harness is attached to my body as I carefully climb up.

A crowd gathers at the bottom of the park.

"Where's Chad!" the guy dangling from the roller-coaster panics as he holds on for dear life.

"What happened to Chad?" he questions again.

"Lexi, what's the status on Chad?" Buckley questions and I radio Bobby.

"Bobby, he's asking about his friend" I say into the radio.

I listen as Bobby instructs Hen and Chim to place the unalive boy on a gurney to reduce everyone's panic levels.

I watch as Buckley makes it to the top of the roller-coaster with ease as he sets his plan in motion.

"Cap, what's the plan with the rest of them" I say into my radio, hearing the whimpering of the girls as they hold on tightly onto their seat holders.

"Nothing, until Buck gets Devon on the ground..keep them as calm as possible" Bobby informs and I nod my head.

"Alright ladies, we have to have you sit tight for a few minutes before we can get you off" I say as calmly as possible.

"I don't wanna die" the brunette girl cries out, panicking, her breathing becomes labored and heavier.

"You're not gonna die, I need you to focus on your breathing right now. Take a deep breath in, and out, slowly until you're much calmer" I say holding onto the roller coaster.

I watch as the girl follows my instruction.

"You're doing great" I say with a polite smile on my face trying to set her at ease.

"What's your name?" I try to keep them engaged as I stare at their panicked faces.

"I'm Hannah"
"I'm Tania"

"You're both being very brave okay. Try and focus on me and not them, you're gonna be fine" I say glancing over at Buck.

"Buck, how much longer?" I yell across and he looks up at me 2 seats across from me.