Chapter 11

A L E X I S _P A R R I S H

"WELCOME BACK CHIM " Captain Bobby Nash says as he places the cake on the table. It's an exact replica of Chimneys accident a few months ago. His head with a bar through it was made out of fondant and cake that I can't wait to get into.

Everyone erupts in cheers and claps, celebrating the return of one of LA's finest firefighters. I smile, clapping my hands together as I watch chims reaction.

"Aww, you guys..." Chimney smiles as he inspects the cake.

"How does it feel to be back?" I question, my smile never leaving my face.

"Uh, beats the alternative" he chuckles at my question and then continues.. "Seriously though, everyone, uh one thing I realized while I was gone is that uh, I really need people like you like I need a whole in the head!" Chimney exclaims playfully.

"Oh wow, sureeeee" I laugh out loud.

"Oh, I cannot!" Hen says laughing at our colleague's words.

"Place hasn't been the same without you Chim, glad to have you back" Bobby nods his head at Chim in acknowledgment.

"Thanks Bobby"

"Hey, you had a lot of people praying for you, not just this department either" Athena speaks up beside me.

"Well I think someone was listening... Even the doctors keep using the word miracle.. I guess if you're gonna have a piece of rebar that's sticking through your skull, that's the way to do it" Chimney answers.

"So not even a headache?" Buck asks inquisitively.

"Just you Buck" he answers earning a laugh from me.

"Ain't that the truth" I let out with an amused smile. Buck looks up at me rolling his eyes playfully.

We haven't spoken much since I've been adamant about avoiding him since the plane crash. But im over it now. It's not like he's been making an effort to speak to me.

"Oh.. Shade, shade, shade..." Hen let's out, reacting to our statements.

"Oh, that's not funny" Buck attempts to defend himself.

"Alright let's light you up so you can make a wish" Bobby announces and I stand closer to the cake.

"Alright who's got a match?" Bobby asks the crowd and who silently looks towards each other.

"Really? Firehouse and nobody's got a match" Bobby utters and I let out a light chuckle as he walks downstairs in search of a lighter to light the candle.

"Hey" Buck smiles hesitantly as he walks up to me. I look at him, giving him a soft smile indicating that it's safe to actually speak to me.

"Hi" I greet watching as the hesitation fades away as he now stands confidently before me.

"So.. Who was that guy this morning? The one who dropped you off" Buck places his hands into the front pockets of his uniform.

I raise a brow at his question and run my tongue across my bottom lip, coating it before speaking.

"That's Micheal my best friend and father to my Godson, Hunter" I inform.

"Oh, how come I've never seen him at the apartment before?" he asks furrowing his brows.

"Buckley, you've been over atleast twice before-"

"Thrice" he interrupts prompting me to roll my eyes at his technicalities.