Chapter 6

A L E X I S _P A R R I S H

"RIGHT HERE... RIGHT here..right here" I exclaim watching Buck try to steer the wheel in the simulation.

"Turn left!"

"I'm trying" Buck says turning the wheel in the opposite direction.

"That's right, you idiot" I say watching as he bumps a pedestrian with the truck displayed on the screen. I sit forward on the chair moving closer to the TV.

"So, you're fleeing the scene? You do realize that you lose points for murdering people on the way to a fire" I ask, looking at him while he focuses on the simulation.

"It should be fine, it's a flesh wound, Obamacare " he shrugs, and I lean over my seat to take the controller from him.

"What? Lex, please" he protests holding onto the controller for dear life.

"Someone call HR" I yell over to the kitchen before moving closer to firmly grip the controller and take it from him.

"You're absolutely crap at this, I can't believe cap lets you drive" I say.

"You're just jealous that he always says no when you ask" he retorts back and I roll my eyes.

"Yeah right... Chim, you're up" I tell Chimney seeing as he passes us by, ignoring my words.

"Rude" I mutter under my breath as I place the controller down. Buckley gets up from his seat and then looks down at me, stretching his hand out for me to grab.

"Truce?" he questions, staring down at me with kind eyes. I look up at him holding his gaze for a second before looking away as an uncomfortable feeling bubbles up in my chest. He smiles and I reluctantly place my hand in his as he helps me up.

"I don't remember being at war with you" I say once I'm on my feet.

"You okay?" I ask Chim, noticing his unusual behavior as we reach the kitchen.

"Look, Chim if there's something you want to talk about..." Buckley trails off prompting our colleague to speak up. As we're all stood around the counter waiting for Chimney to speak up, Buck casually places an arm around my shoulder.

Hen notices, sending me a curious look which I choose to ignore. Buck has been weirdly comfortable around me lately, ever since dinner with my mom. It's not a bad thing, just unusual.

I steady myself by placing my hands on the edge of the counter, trying not to seem bothered by the innocent act. I shift my weight from one foot to the other. What's wrong with colleagues showing a bit of friendly, yet weird, affection?

"I'm a good-looking guy, right?" Chimney asks leaving the question in the air.

"You could do a lot worse than me, yeah?"

"Yeah, you're an attractive guy" I nod my head quickly trying to distract myself from the very familiar cologne and body heat radiating from Buck.

"Chimney, I've done a whole lot worse than you" Hen adds.

"You think I'd be a good father?" he asks again, and I frown, confused.

"Of course" I say with no doubt in my mind.

"What's this about?" Hen asks curiously. Bobby listens closely.

"I asked Tatiana to marry me" Chimney reveals and my eyes widen. Buck removes his arm from my shoulders bringing along a sense of relief. Coolness replaces the warmth of his arm on my shoulder.

"Are you serious?" Buckley asks.

"Uhm... Well what happened?" I ask the question everyone's thinking.