Line 29 / Part 2

For John the laboring sound of the mechanism usually came with images of xms engaging in a wide variety of tasks, all straining to elevate the heavy door of the spacious two-car garage, but today he merely grabbed his bicycle and pedaled off. He was too pre-occupied with thoughts about Julia - what he would say, how he would say it, how she would respond and what they would do then.

Suddenly he remembered how he had done that exact same thing in his head over and over again when he tried to envision the situation in which he would tell her about Grandpa Sam. Yet, how the actual circumstances manifested, turned out to be poles apart from anything he could have invented in his mind. With great clarity he recognized for a precious moment the futility of such mental gyrations, let it all go and simply focused on the ride.

When he passed the fork in the road, which would get him up the hill into Fragrant Meadows Estates, he so spontaneously decided not to make that turn and ride around the property instead, that he almost lost control of his bicycle. "Whoa that was weird" he said out loud, in this case not motivated by the Freeman habit but to release some of the tension the sudden shift had created. However, because he knew a shortcut through the forest, which was the fastest way to the side of the lake with his tree house, he decided that move was actually a very good idea.

It was still so early and he reminded himself of the fact that Julia wasn't the type to get up before ten if she did not absolutely have to. Consequently he had a feeling she wouldn't be her best responsive self if woken up by unannounced visitors, never mind the ones who had dumped her just the day before. So he decided to make a quick stop at the tree house and do some research in the book. Maybe he'd find some stuff that could help him explain what had happened in the meadow with Grandpa Sam appearing so she wouldn't be so spooked anymore. And for sure last night"s talk with mom and dad would help too.

Despite his recent resolve to not fantasize about his conversations with Julia, he was so lost in his thoughts concerning the subject that he never noticed the police car driving towards him and turning into the private road leading to Amelia Livingston's house.