Line 7

LINE 7

Back in the conference room, Mirra's book suddenly flipped shut and the image on the screen went blank. With a movement of her right hand, Mirra pushed the wand away as if to prevent further incidents of interference. The conference room was silent as the members processed the information. Finally Dora Bell spoke, accompanied by the jingling sound of her jewelry.

"I think Avi is right. I know John very well. I rarely have any problems getting his attention. He is still too inexperienced to make perfect sense of the information most of the time, but he always listens." With an extra clink of her keys for emphasis, she added, "Together with John, this whole thing just might work."

"Makes sense to me. The book tells me John is a reincarnation of -"

"Thank you Mirra, thank you, but nobody asked. So please keep this data to yourself," Herr Kaiser definitely had a habit of interrupting.

"Somebody must have," Mirra shot back, countenance decidedly ancient now. Her cracked-sounding voice notwithstanding, she had lost nothing of her unflinching demeanor. "May I remind you that I never act if not prompted? Couldn't if I wanted to. Just don't have it in me. Come on guys admit it, who wants to know who John used to be?" She looked inquisitively around the room.

Cliffton blushed under the penetrating gaze of her eyes. No use denying what she already knew as the truth.

"Er - I guess I was just curious, sorry Mirra, I didn't mean to be - er - improper." To not make his situation worse by saying something foolish, he forced himself to break eye contact. Resisting the intense pull of Mirra's alluring glare, he quickly scanned the room. "What do you say, do I have a go?"

"I suggest it is best to take a vote," Herr Kaiser answered, ever practical in his approach towards things and situations. "Everyone in favor of Avi's proposal to make direct contact raise your hands."

All but the Twins, who were still discussing the case amongst them, raised their hands. Everyone in the room was used to this. By statute the Twins only had one vote, and sometimes it took quite a while for them to reach an agreement. At last, Helena's hand moved up as her head moved down.

"Well well, Ladies and Gentlemen," said Herr Kaiser, "seems we are in accord. Now all we have to do is devise a strategy that minimizes the risk to us while maximizing the chances of success and we can move ahead. Suggestions anyone?"

There was no room for doubt that from now on Herr Kaiser was officially in charge.