Line 21

LINE 21

The conference room was completely silent as if not to disturb Julia in her sleep. All eyes went to Mirra, who was first to speak.

"So, Luna, you gonna send her a dream?"

Moni Lunaluna, who looked like she had lost a few pounds, chuckled. "We all know you don't intend to but you are really funny at times! A dream within a dream within a dream within a dream, like those cute little dolls Avi once brought from one of his travels?"

"I counsel we let her rest, stop time for her, if you will," Dora Bell's voice a soft lullaby, "she has been through a lot and I believe it best if she has some deep healing sleep for a change."

"Willhelm, is that a yes?" Mirra's question pro forma only as her book had already closed and Julia's sleeping features on the screen dimmed to a luminous dark blue.

"Good good, my dear Ladies and Gentlemen." Even Herr Kaiser's voice seemed to have toned down a notch or two, and Senghe the Lion, purring, sounded like the hum from the car's engine. "Are you prepared to present the results of your investigations into how we might proceed in this matter of making direct contact?"

Previously Herr Kaiser had divided the twenty-three members of the conference into three groups of seven; the twins, customarily counting as one, and Mirra Prestessi not part of any group. In the past, her participation in team efforts of this kind regularly resulted in her immediately telling the outcome of every theoretical scenario conceived by any other member of the team. Needless to say, this fact did nothing to enhance their creative thinking but sprouted endless discussions of possible time-lines in probable futures. It was not that she spoiled their success on purpose by using it as a venue to show off her omniscience, it simply was her nature to react. So every time one of her colleagues was merely wondering how this idea or that scheme might work, she instantly awarded the questioner with a multitude of scenarios relative to his ruminations.

Brian Liebermann rose to answer, "Yes, we are ready to present," which Herr Kaiser thwarted with a blunt "Thank you Brian but I have been part of your group remember, so I already know what group number one portends. Leona, how about you? Can you demonstrate some configuration to work with?"

Leona Strong picked up the dossier lying on the table in front of her and untied the garland of flowers, which she had used to secure the single pages. "Thank you, Willhelm. Our group thinks it best we stay with the Grandfather mirage. For a while at least until Julia's waking consciousness gets a little bit more used to this kind of experience. At that time we will shift the illusion to become the picture of one of us - we thought Avi best suited to the task. As soon as we know how her awareness responds we re-assess the situation and take it from there."

"Thank you, thank you group number two. Luna, what does your group advise?"

Moni Lunaluna, not quite as good of memory as Mirra but with sufficient skill to remember what her group wanted to present without the necessity of checking their notes, made eye contact with Chester Magnussen. "We thought we might strew her surroundings with magically appearing objects and situations to soften her awareness."

"Magically appearing? Like more magically than on average?" Mirra just couldn't help herself.

Herr Kaiser seemed to share her doubt if not her humor. "Could you please elaborate, Luna. I lack clear vision of your plan."

"My apologies for being vague. Our group suggests we present ordinary sense-objects that are out of context for her awareness at a given moment. Then we provide the circumstances for her friend John to explain more of his opinion concerning phenomenal reality and as soon as she awakens to the truth of what she now calls otherworldly things, we step in."

"Brilliant!" Regina Green exhaled a whiff of freesia, "and because we would be in full compliance with predominant systems of belief about what they call their quantum universe we are not violating any rules of conduct!"

"Yes, yes, dear, you are right of course. But before we do anything of that sort we have to make sure Julia gets back home safely. Mirra I assume you can be in charge of that?"

"Got all the appropriate pages earmarked, you want a preview?"

"No, no, I trust you and Regina to assemble all that is needed," and to his chagrin Brian Liebermann heard Herr Kaiser say, "My dear Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a plan," but with his next inhalation a trace of freesia painted a smile on his face and with new enthusiasm for the project he employed his skills to work out the details of said plan.