Line 32 / Part 1

Elizabeth had finished her coffee and sat staring at the driveway, not seeing anything in particular. She wished she could smoke, but her cigarettes were in her purse in her room. Not only did she feel too paralyzed to get up and fetch them, she also didn't want to risk missing the sheriff's arrival and giving Amelia the chance to talk to him first. Consequently she just remained motionless in her spot on the stairs and watched her thoughts meander into space like endless ribbons of self-reproach and self-justification.

Maybe she shouldn't have brought Julia to Fragrant Meadows? No, the psychic said staying in Cedarwood Ridge was much better for Julia than being in boarding school or going to Japan and that it would be the best thing that ever happened to her.

But what if the psychic was wrong? That was definitely not an option. Rita had been her trusted confidante for many years, and her suggestions always turned out to be simply wonderful. Without her help she would have never gotten over her feelings of failure and mustered the courage to divorce Peter when she had found out about Claire. Even though the world thought her husband had left her for another woman, Rita knew that he sought comfort elsewhere because Elizabeth didn't want to work on their relationship and hadn't made their couples' therapy a priority over her busy work schedule.

But what if Julia had figured out her plan and felt betrayed by her little scheme? Impossible! Teenagers were by far too self-absorbed to notice anything going on around them - in her daughter's case, anything that happened outside a fashion magazine or outside a mall plainly didn't exist.

But what if something by far too horrible to contemplate had happened to Julia? No no and no again! Think positively and only positive things will happen!

Yes! Positive! Her project! Thinking about it unfailingly gave her a boost of good energy. Maybe this whole situation was no more than the universe testing her how much she really wanted this to happen? Yes yes and yes again! That was it! Okay universe now listen: nothing will keep me from going to Japan, fulfill my dream and make a difference for the planet while doing it.

The thud of slamming car doors stopped that train of thoughts the same way an Amtrak is stopped by a stop and stay signal at a switch and a reverberating Oh no! Bob has brought Ted was the sound of the next train of thought moving in. I should have changed that soiled blouse. I haven't seen this guy in more than fifteen years and now I look like a pig.