Chapter 12 : Reminders

JACK'S POV

Elsa was following behind me, I was leading her through the city.

" Where are we going? " She asked me.

" I already told you, " I replied and looked back at her.

She rolled her eyes and said, " I mean like an address or something. "

" Sorry, I don't trust you, " I responded, turned around and continued walking.

She ran up so she was beside me and scoffed, " And you think I trust you? "

" No. "

That seemed to shut her up, I kinda expected her to walk away, but she didn't, she followed me in silence.

After a couple minutes we were at the entrance to an alleyway, it was always dark, no matter what time of the day.

" I'm not going in there, " Elsa said, she had her arms crossed in a very stubborn manner.

" Okay, fine, don't go, but then I can't help you, " I smirked at her, " Don't worry, lots of people are scared of the dark. "

" I'm not scared of the dark! " She was quick to defend herself.

" Prove it, " I said as I walked into the alley.

She grumbled, but followed closely behind me, after we entered and could barely see through the dark, she asked, " How can you possibly know where you're going? "

" This is where I live, plus memorization, " I replied.

By now my eyes had grown accustom to the dark and I could see pretty good. We continued farther into the alleyway, turning every once in a while. Elsa didn't say anything, except for muttering something about if I tried anything she'd cut off my toes... Or something, I wasn't really listening.

We had almost arrived when something unusual happened... Out of no where an outline stepped out from the wall and grabbed Elsa's neck, dangling her in the air.

Instinctively I kicked the back of their knee, surprised they fell forward, their knees buckling under them. Elsa landed on the ground and quickly took their head between her hands and thrusted her knee into their nose. The person crumbled to the ground, holding their face and groaning.

" Who are you? " Elsa demanded.

Instead of responding they laughed hysterically, from the low tone in their voice and their build I could tell it was a man.

Elsa stepped on his back and grabbed hold of his hair, pulling his head up to face her, " Tell me now, or I might do something I regret, " she threatened.

He laughed again, spit out blood, and said, " Everyday who don't pay off your debt, someone like me will find you or a loved one and remind them. "

Even in the dark, I could tell how angry she was. She struck him in the back of the head with her heel and in one hit he was out cold.

" Well... Shall we continue? " I asked her.

" Yeah, " she said walking beside me.

Within a couple of minutes we were at my front door. I put my key in the door and punched in a code on the keypad. I heard the lock click and I opened the door.

ELSA'S POV

Jack walked in and turned on the light, I got prepared for some messy, smelly dump before I went in, but it wasn't necessary. It was very clean and tidy from what I could see, the lights were dim, probably so you wouldn't blind yourself after the dark alleys.

His house was very open, in one big room was the living room, kitchen, and dining table. He had modern furniture that looked like it had never been used before.

" Would you like something to drink? " Jack asked me. He was already across the room in the kitchen and I was still at the door standing there like an idiot.

" Sure, water is fine, " I replied. Walking over and leaning against the island in front of him.

" Coming right up, " he said turning around and grabbing glasses out of the cupboards.

" Your house is...... nice, " I said, mentally face palming myself.

He smirked at me and slid a glass of water across the counter to me, " Thanks, follow me. "

He walked down a hallway turning the lights on as he went. We got to the end of the hall and he opened a door on the right and walked in.

Cautiously I followed him down a metal spiral staircase. He flicked on the very bright lights over a table in the middle of the room. Down here looked like a bomb shelter, the walls and floors were cement, there was a mini fridge, a T.V., some high tech electronic equipment, a pair of cabinets, and a couple of chairs around the table.

Papers, that looked like blue prints, were scattered all across the table. Jack walked up, gathered up the papers and placed them on a ledge underneath the table.

" So, I was thinking about it on the way over, and I think I know the perfect place to rob, " Jack told me while opening a cabinet and searching through what looked like more blue prints. " Here they are, " he pulled out about five pages and brought them to the table.

" This is your target, " he said pointing to the top of the paper.

I looked to where he was pointing and read, Black's Industries.