15 | protection

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

A L E X I A D A L T O N

Men like Landon are a different type of breed.

You have people like Gabriel and Lonzo who you know are deathly but at least they have some normality inside them. Landon is literally a man crafted by the devil.

The look in his dark misty eyes as he studied me, taking his time to flick over every inch of my face. Drinking down every little detail until there is nothing left to inspect. It was like he was trying to get in my mind, break down those walls but if I learnt anything from my parents, it's never to show emotion.

Even if the most terrifying person you have ever come across aims a gun at your head, don't flinch. Don't even think about giving them the satisfaction of begging or pleading, or even a single tear.

I was brought up to act tough, even if inside I am screaming at myself to do something other than stare blankly at someone who could kill me in a matter of seconds.

Landon didn't necessarily scare me but his gaze, the tone of his voice, even the way he walked into the room. His presence alone made me feel uncomfortable and I realise that Gabriel and Lonzo have a lot of history with this guy.

And now things are about to change.

I shouldn't have been there today and maybe that was my fault but sitting inside and staring at the same four walls is fucking depressing. I wish I had a friend. I wish I had anyone I could speak to that wasn't Gabriel.

When we get home Gabriel is on the phone, I presume with Lonzo. He's stressing but I keep quiet because I know the last thing he needs is me piping up with some opinion. They know better, I've never had to deal with gang leaders alone like this.

I sit by the kitchen as Harriet makes me a late lunch. I don't even protest this time because I need a moment to sit down and take a breather. Things always catch up on me later than at the time and right now, I need an ice cold glass of water and some breathing space.

Gabriel exits his call a few moments later, just as Harriet places down a chicken salad in front of me. I grab my fork and begin to push around the green and purple lettuce leaves, then the chicken until I decide to pierce it.

"Right," he sits opposite me, clasping his hands together. "Lex. I need you to listen to me."

My eyes focus on his. "I'm listening."

"We're going to need you to carry a gun at all times."

I flex a brow. "At all times?"

He nods without hesitating. "At all times. You'll need one in your room, when you leave the house, even when you're with us. This shit is serious, Alexia. Landon isn't a nice person. He likes to play, he likes to get revenge. And right now we're not his favourite people and I'm not taking this lightly. You need to carry a weapon with you, for your own safety."