Chapter 1

Expectation and reality

Expectation and reality . . .

These words are pretty much polar opposites, in my view. Expectation, more often than not, is actually just pure fantasy; reality is the ice-cold dose of water dumped harshly over that fantasy. At least, that seems to be my experience. Then again, I do seem to be terminally unlucky.

Combined with my stupidly high levels of optimism, I therefore find myself often let down by reality . . . And yet I never learn my lesson.

Hence the reason why I'm currently crawling around in the darkness underneath Declan's bed.

"Have you found it yet, Abby?" Declan asks impatiently, from somewhere above me. It seems a useless task; the clutter underneath his bed is appalling, as if he just sweeps all his mess under there in a rush whenever he has a girl coming over.

And I'm probably not the only girl, I realise now, my tears coming faster. Oh yeah, that's the other thing that's impeding my search just a little. The fact that my vision is severely compromised at the moment, due to the excessive amounts of saltwater dripping from my eyes.

"Still looking!" I gulp back a sob, and gingerly nudge a whiffy trainer out of the way, swiping at my eyes with one hand, and trying to make my voice sound remotely light-hearted and reassuring. "I'm sure I'll find it in a minute."

"Can you hurry?" Panic is now starting to colour his voice. Given the circumstances, I can't really blame him.

I guess it's safe to say though that my positive expectations of today have most definitely been shattered.

It started with our work team lunch. I'd actually been really looking forward to that. My company always pays for it, and I'm never going to refuse a free meal. Especially as, let's face it, we all know TGI Friday is a tad overpriced. And, as I was meeting Dec for drinks that night, it meant I could load up on carbs on the cheap, and line my stomach for my "bed cardio" plans for later.

My traitorous stomach was still growling appreciatively at the very thought of some loaded potato skins, even as the girl at the front desk apologetically told us they had no record of our reservation.

And that they unfortunately didn't have the space to accommodate our slightly larger party at such short notice.

Honestly, I could have cried at that point. It was up there with the time I was having a fast day while on the 5:2 diet, decided my need for a chocolate bar overrode my desire to lose a few pounds, and then discovered the vending machine was broken. I'd barely avoided a full-blown breakdown on that particular occasion.

In case it wasn't clear, I take my food very seriously.

We ended up in Wagamamas, which was nice enough, but not what I'd been expecting to eat.