chapter two

Riley

I haven't even had my first coffee of the day yet but I'm literally buzzing.

I awoke this morning to two missed calls and a voicemail from Amanda at Armitage Designs.

After giving myself a quick pep talk, I called them back immediately and they want me to come in and discuss a few things further.

I have no idea what this means, but I'm thinking it might be good.

Maybe even better than good, maybe this is what I've been waiting for.

I let the girls know in a message as I don't have time to call them, before quickly showering and getting ready.

After picking out my outift, black ripped jeans and a green chunky knit jumper, I throw on my coat and black platform boots, before grabbing my phone and bag.

Jumping into my Uber, I take a deep breathe to steady my nerves. I hope this is good news. I hope they want me and my designs.

After grabbing a coffee from the reception area, I'm relieved when the assistant takes me straight through to see Amanda and Claire.

"Hi there Riley, I'm glad you could come in again." Claire smiles at me, offering me the seat infront of them.

"No problem."

"Well we will get straight on with it. Riley, after speaking with our architect, he has confirmed that your designs are some of the best he has ever seen and that he is more than able to work with you and really make this project special. So what do you say?"

I'm speechless.

I did it. They want me.

I clear my throat, looking between the two women infront of me.

"Just to clarify, your offering me the position of Lead Interior Designer?"

"Indeed. Which will be for the next six months. We will get your contract printed asap for you, but if you have any questions at all, please feel free to reach out to us."

Wow. Six months work as a Lead Designer. I'm dreaming right now.

"Riley?"

"Uh- yes, sorry! Yes! I would love to accept, this is amazing. Thank you so much."

"Great. Well like we said we will get the contract through for you and welcome aboard."

"Thanks Amanda." Nothing could wipe the smile off my face. I'm so happy I could cry.

"If you could be in for 11am tomorrow morning, you can meet the rest of the team. By the way, I love your outift today Riley."

I look down at my kind of basic outfit and smile.

"Thanks."

"Now you are on the team, you can dress a little more comfortable. You will be working long days, so comfort is key."

I chuckle to myself, these are honestly two of the nicest people I have ever met.

"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind."

***

"I'm so proud of you my sweet girl."

"Thanks Mom." I smile at her kind words. I immediately called her as soon as I left the studio.

"Your Dad would have been so proud." Her voice quieter as she speaks. My throat closes at her words.

I miss him. I miss him so much.