Prologue

PROLOGUE: CASTLE OF GLASS

POV: LIEUTENANT EMBER CARTER OF REBELLION

It all started with hatred. Though doesn't everything? A roar of flame that licked country. The Rebellion was that flame. It was founded on sheer hatred.

Many people hated us. Wanted to take us down. We were Rebellion. My family didn't like those people- the people who wanted to take us down. They were also the ones who ruined us.

This country! This world! It was the people who demanded that they be listened to, not caring for anybody else's side.

I saw what they were doing. I wanted to help. I was trained from the age of six.

That's why I'm the best.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Lieutenant." General Paige greeted me as I entered her office.

"General." I said back, placing my arms behind my back. I would never let my general see my nerves getting to me.

"Are you prepared?" She asked, her voice one of a clear and certain leader.

I nodded. "Everything is ready and set into place. Private Alan is ready to escort me."

This was The Rebellion. We were all quite close. Our leader, General Paige, always had know me. She was the one who took me as her own after my parents were killed. She was one who helped train me.

"Ember, I've known you since you were a little girl. I know you can do this." She encouraged with a smile. She had seen through my façade. She knew I was nervous. "It's slightly more complicated recon. You love recon!"

I smiled. "Yes, but this is harder. It's infiltration, not recon." I said. I was not one for acting. Squire was a no nonsense strict army, like the old military of America. 

She sighed. "And you'll do just fine." She smiled reassuringly at me, putting her hand on my shoulder.

"Thank you, General. I won't let you down." I promised, standing tall.

She turned to the door. "Ashby! Get your tail in here before it goes even lower in ranks!" She called. She was not to fond of the man.

Alan Ashby, my best friend, stumbled in. His ginger hair was a mess, and his uniform was crumbled. He was only a private, even though he had been training for years. He sucked, but could do well enough. He just sucked at staying in anyone of authorities' good graces. Well, except me, of course.

"Oh, Alan. What are you gonna do without me?" I sighed. I hugged him tightly, knowing it would be my last time for awhile.

"Do us well, Lieutenant." General Paige saluted me before Alan and I left the room. We left for my new, temporary life.

I swore I wasn't going to get attached to it. I swore I would go in hating every Squire and leave the same way. Rebellion was superior.

I loved The Rebellion.

I loved what I lost my parents to. I loved what I planned to lose my life too.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

AN: Quick enough, Mikes?

Stay Sassy,

The Rutabaga