Ten

"MISS Maya!"

Three teenagers went to her at that moment. They are her students in St. Louis. "What are you doing here?"

"Ma'am, the flood reached our house." Kathleen Answered. "We're already three days here. We can't even go to school."

"Us too. All of our things were drench and wet, even our school uniforms. Good thing we saved our notes and books, if not, we'll be doomed at school when we return."

"But it's okay, ma'am." James added. "We're excuse at school anyway. But the thing is, we have to help clean all the mess at home when we return soon. We need to clean every inch and fix everything too."

She just continued to chat with her students. They may seem like they didn't lost hope base on their voices but Maya knew they're just pretending to be strong. Same as what she felt right now listening and watching them. They've been like her children. She sympathize for what happened to them but just like they are, she shouldn't show how she truly feel. It might discourage them instead of helping them to stay strong.

"Are you done eating?" She asked after a while. "Follow me so that I can give you food to eat."

"It's okay ma'am. We already have our share a while ago and we already ate too."

"We'll just help you distribute the goods to them, ma'am. It's for you not to be fooled. There are lots of trickster and greedy people here. They'll come back to get relief goods twice."

"Yeah and some family might not get their share. Isn't it that you told us not to be greedy for material things because we might go to hell? So we'll just help you because we knew the families here."

She bit her tongue to keep herself from laughing and crying out loud at the same time. "I'm amazed that you guys listen to my sermon."

"You sound friendly ma'am."

"Plus, you also listened to us. Not like our other teachers who thought they are gods so we must listen to them."

"Ma'am, let's go on that side. There are some who didn't get their share there." James took three bags.

Maya turned to the organizer of relief goods operation in their village, Leira. "Is it okay if we go and give goods there?"

"Sure. I was actually listening to you and your students. Go ahead. There are still a lot of families who doesn’t have their share yet. Kids, thank you for your help. Reeve, can you help them carry the bags please?"

Reeve? Maya didn't notice that the guy is nearby. He just silently carried ten bags. "Lead the way."

James seems to be impressed by Reeves strength so he added more bags to carry. The two girls were trying to catch Reeve to walk on his side or near him. She was just at the back following them like a tail of a train. But she didn't have time to tend her own feelings. There were more people who need their help and she would give it to them. It's for her students.

"You shouldn't be here." Reeve gave her a cup of coffee after they distributed the goods.

She took it. "Thanks."

"You shouldn't come here. You still have a fever yesterday." He said and sat beside her.

"If I didn't come here, I won't be able to know what happened to them." She was looking at her students who were happily chatting a few meters from them. "Before, I am one of those who celebrate when there are heavy rains or typhoons because classes will be suspended. Not knowing that there are people who suffer while I am rejoicing. And I have no idea that some of my students were one of them. They were like sons or daughters to me."