One

MAYA open her eyes just to close it again. It was because her eye was hit by the sunlight that is coming in through the gap from her window. She can also feel the temperate in her room that made her sure it was already noon. Still, she imagined herself that she's in the North Pole and not in the tropical country, like Philippines.

It is Saturday, her favorite day. Beside of holidays, she is also waiting for weekends to come. It is the only day she can rest and sleep until her heart's content. There will be no class and no school. It is the only time for a teacher like her to have a break.

She can't go back to sleep because her imagination on being in North Pole doesn't help her. She can still feel the heat inside her room. That's when she decided to get up.

"Good think you're awake." Her mom greeted her when Maya saw her in their kitchen. Her mom was busy putting the rice cake in a container. Ever since her mom retired from teaching, she started making desserts as her hobby. "I thought you'll stay on your cave again all day."

"I still need to eat, mom. And drink water, and pee, and p---."

"Alright. Alright. I get it."

She opened the casserole and check what she can eat. Then scoop some rice and dish then put it on a bowl. She finally sat on the dining.

"Why do you keep on eating on a bowl?" Her mom scolded her. "We have a lot of plates here."

"It will look like I ate a lot when it's on a bowl. You know that I am a good eater that's why I gain weight easily, so I need to have a diet."

"What are you talking about? You're not that fat." She pointed out.

"It's better to be safe than sorry, mom." She started eating when she saw a lot of rice cakes. "To whom are you making those?"

"It is the birthday of Reeve's niece today, so he asked me to make these. They will celebrate the birthday later."

Her mood suddenly lit up when she heard that 'magic word'. That name. The world suddenly brightens up like she saw some magic circulating around her.

"Revski meloves?"

Her mom chuckled. "That's the reason why he always tried to push you away. You're always teasing him."

"Teasing? I'm not teasing him mom. It was just my lovely endearment for him." She corrected.

"Exactly. Both of you doesn't have any relationship but you acted like you're his girlfriend."

Her mom chased her hand away when she tried to get one rice cake, but she still managed to put one on her mouth. "He just didn't realize that he's in love with me yet, that is why he's acting hard to get."

"You really have a high fighting spirit, honey. I wonder where you got that confidence from."

"Got it from you."

"Hey, before me and your father started being lovers, he courted me for 7 years first."

"Okay, I got it from dad then." She easily changed and shrugged.

Her mom just shook he head in disbelief. "You're unbelievable. What did you like about Reeve anyway? As far as I know you were both different. Attitude and character wise. You're too talkative and he's not. You're too clumsy while he's elegant and refined. He acted matured while you're not."

Maya just ignore it and started eating her favorite dish again. She chewed the meat and tasted the juice it produced.

"That's the point mom. He's is different from who I am that is why I like him. I am interested in him because he's nice. You know now a-days we can't easily find a guy like him. Some of those guys were already a priest, or worst, dead."