❃ chapter twenty five

Christmas Eve was spent in the same way it was at the Manor every year. Everyone except the cooks slept in, there was an early dinner, and the parents got undeniably drunk, so much so that the children could run off and do whatever they pleased.

"Are you ready?" It was dark out, and he held his hands out to her as they prepared to apparate, "It's a long distance. You have to make sure you hold onto me."

Maybelle squeezed her eyes shut as she grasped on tight to his shoulders.

"I'm ready."

They apparated, and it took just as long as Maybelle remembered. She was nauseous by the time they landed, and she was surprised that they hadn't broken any bones.

"Come," he took her hand and they walked out of the alleyway, conjuring two pairs of skates before they could come into any muggle's view. The tree was decorated, just as grand as the year prior. He tied her skates for her with a smile, and they slid onto the ice.

"I assume you haven't practiced your balancing skills."

"No," she smiled with a clumsy shrug, letting go of the wall as he took her by the hands.

"You're better than last time," his breath puffed as he spoke, snowflakes falling in his bright eyelashes. A tinge of pink flushed across his nose, cold biting his cheeks.

"Says the one skating backwards."

They swirled across the ice for half an hour, Maybelle letting go of his hands for a mere thirty seconds before falling on her bottom.

"I take it back," he held out a gloved palm, a snarky smirk swiping across his lips, "You suck."

She stood, slapping him across the shoulder.

"You're shivering," he led her off of the ice, tying her shoelaces, "Let's go home."

The moment they apparated back into their room, a knock rasped against the door.

"Shit, shit-" Draco tossed their coats into his closet, placing their gloves and hats on the bureau, "Come in."

"Smooth," Maybelle whispered with a roll of the eyes as his mother elegantly entered the room.

"Would you prefer pancakes or waffles tomorrow morning? I'm taking a vote," she looked up from her notepad, a feather pen between her fingers, "Have you two been outside? There's terrible windburn on your cheeks."

He flushed even further, "No."

"No, never mind," she shook her head frivolously, "Don't tell me. Pancakes or waffles?"

"Waffles."

"Pancakes."

Draco's eyes blew wide, "Waffles are so much better than pancakes, Flower."

She rolled her eyes, "Are you serious?"

"Why would you want to eat a deflated waffle?"

Her face was ridiculing, arms crossing over her chest, "But you eat pancakes all the time!"

"When did I say pancakes were shit?" Draco scoffed, returning her judging gaze, "I just said that waffles are better."

"I don't think I've ever seen you eat a waffle Draco," her head tilted defensively, eyebrows raised.

"Yes I have."