❃ chapter twenty

"Severus," The Dark Lord hissed as the death eaters joined at the dining room table, "I was beginning to think you had lost your way. You bring news, I trust?"

Snape eyed the seven children, faces turned down towards the mahogany wood, unwilling to look any of their so called peers in the eye, hands gripping seats to keep themselves from trembling in fear.

Oh, what a terrible world it had become.

"It will occur this following Saturday, at nightfall," he exclaimed in a deep monotone voice, pulling out his chair next to Perseus and sitting down with no haste.

"I've heard differently, My Lord," another death eater exclaimed, mustache untrimmed so that the hairs covered his lips, "Dawlish, the Auror, has let slip that the Potter boy will not be moved until the thirtieth of this month."

Snape snickered, firmly shaking his head.

"This is a false trail, the Auror Office no longer plays any part in the protection of Harry Potter. Those closest to him believe we have infiltrated the Ministry."

"Well, they got that right, haven't they?" The Dark Lord laughed, knowing the eldest and most physically capable death eaters were to attack and take over the Ministry of Magic on August first, "What say you, Pius?"

He was wise, but hesitant to answer.

"One hears many things, my Lord. Whether the truth is among them is not clear," the newest recruit spoke.

"Spoken like a true politician," The Dark Lord chuckled, tapping his bony fingers against the table, "You will prove most useful, Pius."

"Where will he be taken, the boy?" another death eater probed, in a voice fearful yet perfected to sound firm and enthusiastic.

"To a safe house, most likely a home of someone in The Order. I'm told it's been given every manner of protection possible. Once there, it will be impractical to attack him," The Dark Lord answered, furrowing non existent brows in thought.

"My Lord?" Bella smiled, determination and lunacy in her eyes, "I'd like to volunteer myself for this task. I want to kill the boy."

The Dark Lord stood from his chair, stalking around the table at a dangerously slow pace.

"As inspiring as I find your bloodlust, Bellatrix, I must be the one to kill the boy. However, I face an unfortunate complication. My wand and Potter's share the same core. They are, in some ways, twins. We can wound, but not fatally harm one another. If I am to kill him, I must do it with another's wand. Surely one of you would like to do the honor?"

Maybelle's breath caught in her throat as he passed her chair, cold deadened fingertips grazing across her shoulder.

"What about you, Lucius?" The Dark Lord opened his palm, waiting for Lucius to take his wand from his coat pocket, "I require your wand."

He was amused by Lucius' hesitancy as he shakily drew it from it's casting.

"Do I detect elm?" The Dark Lord took it from his grasp, snapping the decorative snake head from it's end.

"Yes, my Lord."

"And the core?"

"Dragon heartstring, my Lord," Lucius spoke carefully. He had made far too many mistakes to mess up now; after being locked in the rat dwelling cellar for an entire fortnight following his breaking of the prophecy, he didn't want to know what would follow such a harsh mistake.