❃ chapter sixteen

"Astoria wants us to go on a fucking Easter egg hunt, can you believe that?" Daphne scoffed from across the table, thawing grasses passing as they sat on the train, "She's bloody fourteen years old."

"I wouldn't mind an egg hunt. That sounds quite fun actually," Naevah smiled, flipping through a magazine, legs hugged to her chest with a mustard yellow blanket wrapped around her shoulders.

"An egg hunt at Malfoy Manor? We'd be murdered," Blaise chuckled, placing a hand over Daphne's thigh, "We've got too many meetings for something so childish."

Naevah frowned at her brother's remark.

"Oh please," she spoke whilst hitting him with her elbow, slightly annoyed, "You know you want to."

"Hey," Draco whispered as their conversation continued, gently squeezing Maybelle's thigh, "You okay?"

She'd begun sitting on his lap during train rides instead of Pansy's. At first Pansy was annoyed by this, but she seemed to enjoy the extra legroom.

Maybelle hummed, giving him a small nod.

"Are you sure?" He mumbled, holding her waist as they went over a bump on the tracks.

"I'm fine, Draco."

He huffed, annoyed by her repression.

"We'll talk about it later, okay?" He mumbled against her cheek, falling silent as she laid her head against his shoulder.

Per usual, Narcissa picked them up at the platform, huddling in a group like lost ducklings to it's mother. They took the floo network back to the manor, where everyone was waiting for their arrival.

Including him.

Draco squeezed her hand as they entered. There was immediately a pair of eyes peering at her, and although she avoided his gaze, she knew it was set on her school skirt.

"Welcome home," Mrs. Nott welcomed the children with open arms, hugging each and every one of them.

It didn't feel like home.

"Where's Bella?" Maybelle turned to Narcissa, who stared back with saddened eyes.

"She's on a trip, baby," Perseus exclaimed, his heavy boots clunking against the floor as he moved closer to pet her hair, "We get to spend some quality time together, yeah?"

Maybelle flinched away from his hand, furthering herself into Draco's grasp. Her Father stared at her with regretful eyes.

"Touch her and I'll kill you," Draco growled, pulling her behind him.

"Stupid boy," Perseus muttered, stepping backwards in retreat, "You're too weak to be dating my daughter-"

Maybelle clutched Draco's hand to prevent him from lunging at him.

"I may have been then, but not anymore," he spoke, trying to hide the shake in his voice, "I won't let you hurt her, not again-"

"Draco," Lucius struck his shoulder with the end of his wand, "Shut your mouth."

The room had fallen silent. The other parents stood by the kitchen doorway, watching the scene. Narcissa's fingers covered her mouth anxiously.

"You're all fucking evil," Draco seethed, dragging Flower away from the scene and up the stairs. The rest of the children followed.

"You shouldn't fight them, Draco," Maybelle whispered softly, the group sitting in a circle on Pansy's bedroom floor, "You'll only make them angrier."