❃ chapter four

"How'd you sleep, May?" Daphne asked whilst shoveling a spoonful of oatmeal into her mouth, foot pressing against Blaise's beneath the table.

"Fine," she spoke quietly, staring down at the plate of food before her with little appetite.

Everyone else looked quite occupied in other conversation, Pansy and Naevah throwing bits of cereal across the table in attempt to catch them in their mouths. Draco and Maybelle were the only silent ones.

"You alright, May? You seem quieter than usual," Theodore spoke through a mouthful of toast, crumbs lining the side of his lip.

"Like I said, I'm fine," she spoke reassuringly, taking a sip of orange juice, "And don't chew and talk, that's disgusting."

Theodore rolled his eyes, elbowing Draco in the arm, "What about you, Malfoy?"

"Fine," his answer was short, barely a grumble as he stabbed his egg aggressively with his fork.

Nobody knew how exactly to react to last night's game, so they blamed it on the alcohol, and moved on as though nothing had ever happened.

As soon as breakfast had begun it was over, the others' discussion on this years curriculum being cut short by the ring of the clock tower bell.

She walked alongside Pansy to the potions classroom, Blaise and Draco trailing just behind. Due to their new Professor the classroom was in an entirely different location.

"It's too bloody bright in here," Pansy squinted her eyes as they entered, sunbeams shining through beautiful grand glass windows.

"Ah, here are our other Slytherin classmates! I'm Professor Slughorn, you can find your seats at the table for four back there," he pointed towards the wooden tabletop, covered in ingredients and cauldrons at the students disposal.

"Thank you," Maybelle nodded kindly, dragging Pansy to their seats. Draco and Blaise sat opposite to the girls, the other students gathering around each table.

"Alright students, we'll begin around this long table here if you'd gather around."

Students began to surround the long table, the four slytherins standing in a small huddle to avoid the gryffindors who were on the opposite side.

Much to Maybelle's dismay, Draco had stood right next to her, his hand unintentionally brushing against her own. She began to tense, drawing in a deep breath as their professor began to speak.

"Paying attention in this class will be quite important as your books are far more in depth this year, and you'll be encountering much more dangerous and complex ingredients. We wouldn't want any accidents now, would we? Today, for starters, we'll be-"

The door burst open.

"Damned Potter and Weaslebee," Blaise muttered under his breath, the two boys clearly disheveled from a hurried sprint down the hall.

"Ah! Harry my boy, I was beginning to worry. You've brought someone with you I see," Slughorn exclaimed happily.

"Ron Weasley sir, but I'm dead awful at potions, so I think I'll be going-"

"Nonsense, any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine, get your books out," he smiled kindly, gesturing towards the table.

"It's been one day and he's already picking fucking favorites," Pansy scowled quietly, a look of annoyance on her face.

Maybelle laughed, whispering back, "He's famous for what, not dying? Pathetic."

"As I was saying, I've prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas as to what these might be?" he spoke, Hermione's hand shooting up in the air.