❃ chapter nineteen

"Take us through the plan again."

Pansy raked her fingers through her black hair as the group of young death eaters sat in a messy circle on Theodore and Blaise's dormitory floor.

Draco sighed in annoyance.

"In one hour, Potter and Dumbledore are to leave the grounds to go on some sort of mission, I'm not sure exactly what it is. All I've been told is that Theo and I are to let the death eaters into Hogwarts at ten thirty. You all are to wait in the Slytherin common room for my Mum who will enter through the Floo Network. She will take you to the Manor."

Maybelle took his hand, and his shoulders slightly relaxed.

It was ten fifteen.

"We have to go," Theodore stood shakily from his seat with sweaty palms, nodding towards the door for Draco to follow.

Draco glanced at his witch, placing a kiss to her lips, "I love you."

It was a whisper, quiet enough that no one could hear.

"Be safe, please."

He didn't respond, following Theodore into the darkened hall.

"Now we wait," Naevah exclaimed with a blank expression.

The remaining members of the group stood, and sat on the common room couches in silence, waiting for Narcissa to enter through the fireplace.

............

The two boys, children, were on the way to the room of requirement, pace swift, although every step felt like an eternity.

Draco's chest rattled as the door appeared, vanishing cabinet now in front of them.

"Harmonia nectere passus."

Black smoke seeped from the creaking metal, death eaters exiting one by one from Borgin and Burkes.

His stomach churned with anticipation and guilt; he was going to kill his Headmaster, the man who had given him too many chances. He was going to be a murderer.

How would his Flower ever forgive him?

Death Eaters fought their way through Order Members, swift yet dark magic stunning man after man. His aunt had slashed a woman's throat before pushing him towards the base of the astronomy tower.

"Up, Draco," Bellatrix hissed, "He's waiting for you."

Draco drew a shaking breath, pulling his wand from his pocket before starting his way up the winding staircase. Soft voices echoed from the peak of the tower, silver rings glinting in moonlight as sweat dripped from wood to the stone floor.

He stood calm, hair swaying with the summer night's breeze.

"Good evening Draco. What brings you here on this fine spring evening?" He spoke with a smile, at ease despite the dark wand pointing towards his elderly body. He could hardly stand, back hunched with age, lips cracked and dry.

"Who else is here? I heard you talking," Draco seethed, keeping his voice strong to the best of his ability for the death eaters who listened below.

"I often talk aloud to myself, Draco," he sighed nonchalantly, cursed and blackened fingers crossed with broken nails, "I find it... extraordinarily useful."

He was too calm, as if he knew this was the end.

"Have you been whispering to yourself, Draco?"

Draco shivered, a cold chill sprinting up each fragment of his spine with every word the old man spoke, wisdom and misery the blood in his blued veins.