𝟬𝟬𝟭 the land of the living

ミ☆ chapter one; the land of the living

𖤍

"Excuse me?"

Derek exhaled, pinching the bridge of his nose. He had tried to give Amara information bit by bit to avoid overwhelming her more than she already was. The last thing he wanted to do was end up killing her again by giving her a heart attack.

The alpha stared at her sternly. "I said you can't go home."

The Jheung gave him an incredulous look, shaking her head and shifting her eyes to the ground. She didn't reply, hoping that his words would be followed by an explanation. Due to her lack of a response, Derek found even more questions to ambush her with.

The suspicion he had towards her was evident on his face. Amara didn't understand why. She didn't understand much, truthfully. All Derek told her was that there was a fire in the home they were currently in.

"Where did you come from, Amara? And why did you come here?"

"I woke up less than an hour ago, Der. I came here in hopes of finding the Hales, but as you can see..." She raised a finger, gesturing around what was left of the once
beautiful home.

He didn't look convinced in the slightest. "Where did you wake up?"

"I...I woke up..." She trailed off, trying to recall the palace where she had risen for the first time in years. Amara's fingernails dug into the partially burnt, navy couch she was sitting on, feeling the pounding sensation she had before in her head return.

She can't remember where she woke up.

"Okay, I don't remember," She admitted, a nervous laugh mixing in with her statement. Her reply didn't sound believable to her, and judging by Derek's face, he didn't buy it either.

Her cocoa brown hues were met with his emerald ones, causing Amara to frown. This Derek that was looking into her eyes was very different from the one she remembered.

This Derek was cold. His face was like a barrier, one that he refused to break down. Beneath that wall, Amara caught a glimpse of the Derek she was familiar with. The one that made an appearance for just a split second when he met her gaze fifteen minutes ago.

Her eyebrows furrowed, visibly concerned with the Hale's angsty manner. "Did something happen? Why are you so...sad?"

Derek paused for a moment, as if he was unsure on what his next words should be. He sighed in defeat. "I haven't told you everything."

"Clearly."

He sent her a look. "The fire that I told you about that happened here...it killed my entire family."

Amara felt her heart drop to her stomach when his words registered in her head. That couldn't be. It just couldn't. She was well aware that time had passed, but hearing Derek tell her what happened in her absence felt like a ton of bricks being dropped on her at once, burying her until she could no longer reach the surface. She felt as if she was going crazy in her own head.