Chapter Twelve

"What do you think about Breadstix tonight?" Dad asked as I did my homework at his garage.

"Uh . . . what about pancakes instead?" I said, feeling more comfortable with eating at home rather than eating out.

"What? We had that last week."

"I know," I replied, looking up as Kurt walked into the garage with his Cheerios uniform on, making me want to scream. "Or you guys can have Breadstix and I'll make pancakes for myself."

"What's going on?" Kurt asked.

"Your sister is against Breadstix," Dad said.

"I'm not! I just . . . I just want to eat in tonight, that's all," I lied, not wanting to make my family worried about me.

"You never say no to Breadstix," my brother said.

I scoffed, starting to put my stuff in my bag, ready to go home, "Well my brother never says no to hanging out with me but now he is. Take me home?"

He looked at me in bewilderment before him and I went to his car. I sat with my arms crossed, looking down at my black converse. Kurt and I being silent in the car together was rare in all our sixteen years on this planet. Sue Sylvester put a wall between us, and I didn't like it.

"Are you doing okay?" Kurt asked quietly, knowing that I was struggling again with anxiety, even though I didn't say it.

"I'm fine," I said coldly.

"Then why don't you want Breadstix?"

"Can we not talk about it?"

He nodded. Silence once again.

I sighed.

I leaned towards the radio, turning it on, getting some sound in the car, but not much. I hated this. I wanted to talk to my brother but my anxiety with my allergies, but what he said in the gym kept me from doing so.

Sue Sylvester, I hate you.

* * * * *

"Um, alright, I have one final announcement before we all leave," Mr. Schue said the next day in rehearsal. "We can't use the auditorium for the next week."

"But that's garbage," Finn said. "How are we supposed to practice for regionals without the auditorium?"

"The Cheerios need it to practice in. There's nothing I can do."

Rachel stood up, "I recommend a sit-in."

"I recommend we torch the place," Puck said, making Mike and Matt laugh.

"Look, we've all faced adversity before and we've come out stronger on the other end. I'm gonna check out a few off-site locations for us to use just for the week. I promise I'll find us a new home," Mr. Schue as the bell rang.

We stood up and got our things, I threw my teal backpack over my shoulder and started to walk out only to catch Kurt talking to Finn about a swatchboard, getting his opinion on it.

"I'm redecorating my bedroom," my brother said. "Kind of going for a hunting lodge meets Tom Ford's place in Bel Air. I was hoping you could help me out with the hunting lodge part."

I froze before turning to face the two boys at the piano.

"I live in a closet. There's cowboy wallpaper on the walls," Finn said.

"Oh."

"But I guess that one's nice," Finn said, pointing to a swatch.

"Toile? I always pegged you as a chinoiserie type."