Chapter Six

"The slushie war has commenced," Kurt said as I rested my head against his upper arm, still feeling horrible about giving Jacob a pair of my underwear as we looked on to see Quinn wiping slushie off of Finn's face.

"And if Finn and Quinn got nailed, none of us are safe," Mercedes said, sitting next to us.

"Okay, guys," Mr. Schue said as he entered the room. "We're a little behind for Sectionals, thanks to our Sue Sylvester detour. But you guys seem to really enjoy doing mash-ups right? I want to keep you guys fired up. Plus, there's an important lesson to be learned with mash-ups. Sometimes things don't feel like they don't go together. But the big difference between them is what makes them great. Like . . . chocolate and bacon."

"Or Glee Club and football," Finn said.

"Exactly. But you've proven that it is a great combination. So . . . here is," he chuckled, "my personal favorite song. And your homework for the week is to find an unexpected mash-up to go with it."

I looked at my music, "'Bust a Move'?"

"Yeah, this song is old school," Mercedes said.

"Alright. Um, Artie," Mr. Schue said.

"Yeah?"

"Try to follow along on the bass. Finn, you take the drums."

"Uh, I'm sorry, Mr. Schuester. I got corn syrup in my eye," Finn said.

"Okay. Uh, Puck. how about it?"

"I don't really groove on Young-MC."

"I am shocked at the lack of leading-man ambition in this room right now," Rachel said.

"It's okay, Rachel. I guess I'm going to have to show these guys how it's done," Mr. Schue said.

We all oooed as Mr. Schue took off his dress shirt, revealing a dark gray shirt underneath before he, Mike, and Matt started dancing as he started performing "Bust A Move".

* * * * *

No one had come up with anything for a mashup to "Bust A Move" except Puck who did a really good cover of "Sweet Caroline" that got us all grooving in rehearsal. Whenever it got to the chorus, we all sang along, me and Kurt actually singing together for the first time since the Jacob incident, which neither of us had spoken to each other since last week. It was weird for us to not really talk. Sure, I would still sit next to him and lean on him, but no words were exchanged. I think we were alright, but I wanted to make sure.

I got out of the shower that night, slowly brushing out my hair, trying to figure out what I was gonna say to my brother. I mean, what do you say to your older by fifteen minutes protective gay brother who is as mad as hell at you for handing over your undergarments to a pervert? Never did I think I would have this conversation with Kurt.

I threw my hair in a loose braid before going to the basement to find my brother looking through sheet music that we had collected over the years.

"Hey, Kurt? Can we talk?" I asked, coming over to where he sat on his bed.

"No, Frank Sinata's 'I Love You Baby' does not go well with 'Bust A Move'"

"What?"

"It's been on repeat on your IPod."

"It's a good song and will be used for my first dance at my wedding. No, I want to talk about what happened last week with Jacob."

"Oh, that," Kurt closed the binder he was looking through.

"Look, I'm so sorry. It was stupid of me, but I was just trying to protect Quinn. I wasn't going to become his girlfriend if that was the price–"

"Okay, stop right there. I'm grossed out now by the thought of that. I forgive you. I know you were just trying to help Quinn."