Chapter Three

Kurt, Tina, Brittany, and I were downstairs in Kurt's bedroom, which was the basement. Brittany and Tina were in plain black leotards whilst Kurt and I were in black sequined unitards, taking the lead as we recorded a video of the four of us dancing to 'Single Ladies' by Beyoncé. Me and Kurt lip synced to it as it played on my IPod whilst we all did the original choreography from the music video.

There was a beep, and the music suddenly stopped. We quickly turned around to see our dad who had stopped my IPod, staring at us. I internally started panicking, Kurt hadn't come out to our dad yet.

"Dad. You're home early," Kurt said.

"Deadliest Catch is on," our dad said as he came up to us. "What are you wearing?"

"A unitard," my brother said with panic in his voice.

"Guys wear them to work out nowadays," I said, attempting to save him. "Do sports. And they're amazing for girls to dance in. They wick sweat from the body."

"F–F–Football," Tina stuttered.

"Yeah, all the guys in football wear them. Very jock-chic," Kurt said.

"Totally, and Kurt's on the football team now. He's the kicker. Smallest guy on the field, right?" Brittany said, making the rest of us teens stare at her in disbelief.

My brother turned to our dad with a smile, "Yeah. Uh, Brit, Tina, and Kim were helping me with some conditioning work."

"Mmm, really? You know, I played in J.C. Before I busted up my knee popping wheelies on my dirt bike," Dad said.

"Cool. We'll have something to talk about then," my brother chuckled.

Dad looked at Brittany and Tina, "So, one of you two his girlfriend?"

Kurt wrapped his arm around Tina, "I'm not ready to be exclusive just yet."

"Hmm. Just keep the music down," Dad said as he started to leave. "I can't hear myself think up there. Hey, Kurt," he turned to us, "be sure to get me a ticket to your first game."

Kurt nodded with a nervous smile. Once our dad left he turned to me with a look that basically said, what the hell am I going to do?

* * * * *

"Alright, plan," Kurt said, taking me aside, in the choir room the next day. "I'm gonna join football."

"I don't like where this is going," I said.

"Oh, come on, Kimberly."

"I'm gonna have to come to a game, where they serve peanuts."

"That's baseball, Kim, even I know that," he said as Mr. Schue handed us sheet music for "Tonight" from West Side Story.

"Excuse me. This isn't the right key," Rachel said.

"No, it's actually the right key," Mr. Schue said.

"This is the Alto part."

"I know. Tina's doing the solo," he said as he handed Tina the music.

"I--I'm sorry. This must be some mix-up," Rachel said. "I thought I made it clear that anything from West Side Story goes to me. Maria is my part. Natalie Wood was a Jew, you know. I've had a deep, personal connection to this role since the age of one."

"Well, I'm trying to shake things up a bit, get us out of our boxes."

"You're trying to punish me."

"I think you're being irrational."