Chapter Ten

The ride home was silent and awkward. Too silent that I could hear her breathe, and too awkward that I had to try my best not to breathe so loudly. Something tells me I should've not asked Lexa that question. 

"Sorry, Daniel. I like you, but I love Liam," she said. She smiled oh so innocently, went in the car, and had not spoken since. She was just staring out the window the entire time. Even windows become boring sometimes, don't they?

I decided to turn on the radio, fifteen minutes of complete silence was killing me. But it only contained love songs, as if it was valentines day, and it made things more awkward.

I turned it off. I guess I have to do the talking.

"So what's your story?" I blurted out. This startled Alexa, I guess she was too caught up with watching trees move away from us that she forgot that she was actually in a car ride with me.

"Huh?" she said, finally facing away from the window.

"Uhm.. your story," I replied. "I mean, what your love story? How did you guys meet or something, why do you love him so much?"

"Long story," she replied dryly.

"Well we could surely use a long story."

She didn't respond right away. As if she was rehearsing what she would reply over and over again in her head, or maybe she was just thinking twice.

"Well it happened when I was in third grade or something..," she started. "I was just sitting there, minding my own business, when some bullies did what they do best, mess with the lives of innocent kids. They shoved some.. pie thingy into my face. Then they were laughing, then they screamed 'April Fools Day!' even when it was September. It was my birthday, and I had no friends, so I started crying." Her voice trailed off. I wasn't quite sure but I think she was about to cry, but she just didn't, cause it's always a shame to cry for everybody. Then she carried on with a slightly cracked voice.

"All the other kids couldn't help me. Why would they, they'd get pied too. So I cried and cried.. But then a brave kid stood up for me and shouted at the bullies.'Hey!  You better say sorry to the lady!' He wasn't really that type of guy you'd expect to stand up for you. He was a short blond kid who has a weird fashion sense, but I was really touched with what he did. The bullies pied him too, ofcourse, but just in time for the principal to witness this happening. Turns out he called the principal, just to give the bullies what they deserved."

"Then yeah, that's it. We conversed for a while, exchanged names. So we became friends for like, a week, since he started dating this girl named Angela eventually ignored me, and whatever. I understand him, though. But we became friends again, when I was in sixth grade and I forgive him. You see, Daniel, I could never get over Liam no matter how much I try. He did something that nobody has ever done to me, despite our unacquaintedness. There's this part of him that makes him all different from the others. At first I thought I only loved him for what he did, but as time passed by, I realized that despite the changes he has gone through, I still loved him, as Liam, and not the guy who stood up for me."

I remained silent. I was quite embarassed of myself, since I have judged their relationship before so quickly. I thought it was just another boy meets girl situation, but no, there is this significance in their relationship that no one could change or surpass, not even me.

Maybe I felt the same with Maddie. Alexa only blocked my feelings for her temporarily, but when I'm alone at night, Maddie's the one I'm thinking about. I would always think about our experiences together, her beautiful eyes, her breath taking smile, our last kiss and how I could win her back. Maybe there is this part in Maddie that would always drag me closer to her, like a magnet.