Chapter Eleven

Here we were, sitting outsidee Maddie's hospital room. I was too caught up with trying to win her back that I forgot that her days are already counted. I just hope it doesn't end now.

Alexa didn't stay too long because her father called her and he sounded angry. She was very sorry though, and felt bad for what she did. So it just the two of us now, both waiting for news about his girl. After what seemed to be forever, the doctor finally went out.

"Is she okay?" Liam asked almost instantly.

"Well yes," the doctor said. "She'll be conscious in a bit. But I suggest that you won't go inside until further notice."

"What happened?" I asked.

"It's her condition, it's getting worse."

"What condition?" Liam asked, with his voice slightly shaking.

"You don't know? I thought you'd have known by now. She has this rare heart condition where she couldn't handle too much stress or sudden change of emotion. She has a very fragile heart, and it's getting worse. Soon enough, she could just faint from hearing someone scream, or even die from it."

Maddie fainting and dying. That would probably top my list of things I wouldn't want to witness in years of existence. I'd rather die first than actually see her die, it would probably break me so much.

"Are you serious? Nonsense! I haven't heard of such illness, not even in Science books. You must be joking. Is this even curable?" Liam asked, now with fear and rage in his voice.

"I'm sorry, but there is such sickness existing in this planet. It may sound ridiculous but it's deadly. As for now there is still no actual treatment for this, only medicines that would slow down the worsening of her condition. Now if you may exuse me," the doctor said, and left our field of sight.

Liam sat down with his face buried in his hands. "I did the same thing when I knew about it too," I said patting his back.

"Wait, you knew about this?" Liam asked. I nodded my head.

"But why didn't you tell us? Why didn't you tell me!"

"Because," I said, "I made a promise with her parents. And besides, she might die right away if she knew about this. Remember, she has a weirdly weak heart."

"Oh.."

And we just sat there. The clock was ticking, and every tick was making me anxious. I can't wait to see her, why are they taking so long. But I wonder why she fainted, was it because of the shouting? But why did Lexa shout?

"Yeah.. why did she shout?" I asked Liam awkwardly, for the statement was a continuation of my thoughts and clearly he could not read them.

"Huh?"

"Why was she shouting a while ago?" I asked.

"Oh.." he said, trailing off. I was expecting an answer but nothing came out.

"Well...?"

He sighed. "Well, Maddie said that it was our fourth monthsary, right?"

"And so?"

"Uhm.. we broke up two months ago."

"What!" I exclaimed, "You're a double timer! What's wrong with you?!" I felt like punching him, but then I realized that I was in a hospital, and having a fight here would be wrong.

"Shh!" Liam said, trying to calm me down. "Sit down, will ya? It's not what you think." It took me a while to realize that I was standing up and that people were staring at us, so I sat down, but I'm still angry, how dare he!